1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MicroAdvantage Burner & Durabrand player probs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by a007dan, Sep 4, 2004.

1. a007dan

a007dan Member

I have a MicroAdvantage 8X burner & the basic cheapo Wal-Mart Durabrand DVD player.

It plays originals just fine.

Backups played fine using ValueDisc media.

Got some Khypermedia blanks & only 2 of 10 movies have worked on my player. Strangely enough they worked on my friends player (more prestigious brand, dont know specifically).

I use DVD Shrink & then burn w/ Roxio, have tried using DVD Express as well.

If no DVDs of the Khypermedia worked I would say, fine, it was just the media, but some did work. Any ideas?

I also now use AnyDVD software, but still no good.

I only burn @ 2X, no progs running & let it be while its burning.

Would hate to have to return my player & hook up the surround sound all over again...ugh, will buy some Riteks in the meantime & at least be able to exchange if worse comes to worse, hopefully its just the media & 20 bucks down the drain.

Thanks
    Dan

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

One of the hallmarks of low quality media is inconsistent results. The better media you buy, the better consistency you get.

Another point to keep in mind is that DVD players are a very finicky lot and no two makes are the same with respect to what brand/type media they'll play.

I'd highly suggest keeping your DVD player and keep buying the Riteks you just ordered :)

3. a007dan

a007dan Member

Thanks Nephilim

Additionally, does a DVD player have an all or none playback for + or - DVD media?

The Valuediscs (+) burned with nearly 100% efficiency.

The Khypermedia (-) burned with 20% efficiency on my DVD player (on friends player 90 % efficiency).

So could a player play most + discs & only some - discs (or vice versa), or all or none ?