1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MICROMV

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by drob003, Dec 16, 2002.

1. drob003

drob003 Guest

Anyone out there have a Sony MicroMV compatible camcorder? I do and although I think it is a good format overall, there is a dirth of software available that will support it. I have to use MovieShaker to capture my video. Anyone found anything else?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]DROB[/small]

2. qnc

qnc Guest

I just bought a IP7 from sony with MicroMV

I am also looking for a software solution.

Can you import your moviesharker mpeg file into other programs I would like to know .

I am considering buying a computer I would prefer Mac but will buy a PC if that is the only way.

The size of the camera is very cool.

3. drob003

drob003 Guest

qnc - I purchased Pinnacle Studio version 8 and they now have a patch that will support MICROMV. However, the capture in Studio 8 is inferior to movieshaker. I am still toying around with trying to get movieshaker files into another program. The problem of course is that movieshaker makes .MMV files and the PC programs look for MPEG2 and AVIs. I am trying to find a converter from MMV to MPEG2.

Good luck and let me know if you have any success in either area.

4. qnc

qnc Guest

when the camera downloads from micromv to hard drive does is it stored as .mpeg and then movieshaker converts to .mmv.

I guess what I am asking is the raw file from camera to computer .mpeg

5. qnc

qnc Guest

Also what is this dirth of software that you can get for it?

6. drob003

drob003 Guest

qnc maybe I chose the wrong word in "dirth". In short, there aint shit that supports MICROMV yet.

7. drob003

drob003 Guest

Im not sure what you are looking to find out. When I capture with movieshaker, I find only MMV files on my HD, NO MPEGs

8. qnc

qnc Guest

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

10. qnc

qnc Guest

Looks like I just bought the IP7 a few months a head of tech head time, maybe a year before a reasonable adoption.

It is still workable technology. I hope it improves:

Tape prices come down.

Mac and Unix adoption however according to the URLs above universal format is now available.

I hope that it makes money for Sony, just to keep me in tapes!

That it gets thinner. More comfortable in the pocket!!!

That it fits in the pocket is brilliant. When you take it out and start to film it is forever sweet!!! Why, beacasue its mostly in your pocket!!

Oh to be a BETA tester!!!

The new handicam has only a flash and LANc additions and is bigger so it looks like Sony are backing their MV format, and still no headphonejack. Oh they have a funky new grip but the camera seems exposed to me. I like cupping my IP7 and filming through the view finder.

I will begin to explore the URL above on mpg2 ripping from MV. However assuming it works the IP7 has Mpg2 a universal code and DVD quality with a smaller file size. That can't be bad.

It's like the Sony boys have the camera and are having fun. They have all the toys and are too busy filming with it to do some coding for consumers. Don't blame them, consumer satisfaction is a corporate's job.

Two third party softwares by 03/03 for ripping from tape, it is like the corporates are getting to work. It is only going to get better.

Oh and if we have to mention it movieshaker only works on Sony PC's COME ON, REALLY WHY!!

As if movieshaker is any good anyway, the dark months when that was all you had must have been bad.

Overall I was little hasty to get it, I admit. It is only balanced by the footage that is in the can, which I only got because it was in MY pocket.

Oh more battery time and tape time, by four.

a few questions... It is a forum after all.

**DID I GET IT RIGHT CAN I STREAM FROM BLUETOOTH

I.E. USE MY 1P7 AND MOBILE AS PORTABLE WEBCAM?

**If I can't stream can I at least FTP from the camera

Using simple PHP code I found that it uses

Mozilla/3.0[en] NF1.0 (NQ)

As a browser can anyone do anything with that?

Typicaly it has no CSS and little JavaScript support but will support <table>

**ALSO CAN FIREWIRE 800 BE USED?

**ALSO IS THERE A WAY TO PUT NEW PROGRAMS ON TO IT? ASIDE FROM HAVING A SONY PAYCHECK?

Thanks for the info AND ANY EXTRA INFO YOU MAY HAVE

Quincy

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2003
  11. PRW

PRW Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2003
  12. rlb1130

rlb1130 Member

Here is a simple solution..Nost very cost effective but can overcome many hardships. Connect the AV to a standalone DVD burner. record on a DVD..pop into your computer and voila..You have a format that can be edited.. I am not a tech geek so not sure what quality (if any is lost). I was frustrated as I could not get a simple answer?? Plug my cam into my computer..download onto a dvd!! What a novel concept. I like my cam but sony will never see any of my $$$ for anything resembling computer hardware or software!! their support sucks. I cant even get them to tell me how to make *.mmv files into a standard mpeg2 format. they say the mmv file is mpeg2?? DVD's do not recognize mmv..So I bypass it and record directly using stand alone dvd recorder..