1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft antispyware

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by bev309, Apr 10, 2005.

1. bev309

bev309 Guest

I have just re-installed my machine after being infected with about.blank. I downloaded microsoft antispyware after hearing how good it is, but my torrent downloads don't connect while it is running. Any ideas? Thanks

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey bev309,

You don't need to have the MS Anti-Spyware running all the time. If you are downloading, you don't need it to run, unless your surfing. And if you are, you should have have AV and pop up blocking software, but you don't necessarily have to keep it on.

Mine is set to run everyday at 2am, and it alwasy comes up with nothing. Now, I know that our surfing habits are definately different, but you can just shut it off and continue to d/l and then when you are ready to run the scan, just start it back up.

Hope this helps!

;)

3. bev309

bev309 Guest

Thanks for your reply. I have been connecting to the downloads with it disabled, then enabling it when the downloads start. THis works fine :) Just one more question though, I also uninstalled norton internet security because I thought this might have been the culprit, has anyone had any problems using this with bit tornado, or is something like mcafee (which I've had recommended to me) better?
    Thanks again!

4. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Your very welcome!

Ok, now this is rather interesting. I want to ask you if you gave the AV software PERMISSION to access the internet. If you don't allow the AV software to access the site, you will no doubt not be able to connect to the download. I should have mentioned this before. Double check your settings and make sure that you gave it permission.

I haven't had any issues regarding AV proggies and my downloads. But then again, my system is set up differently than yours. But be sure to check on that.

Hope this helps!

;)

5. bev309

bev309 Guest

Yes it had permission, I had installed it for the first time on my system the same time that I installed microsoft anti-spyware and I think it was this anti-spyware that caused the problem not norton(have had norton installed on my daughters computer for a while, but don't download torrents on that lol) So I will probably try re-installing norton tomorrow, and hope that all goes well!
    Thanks

6. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

No sweat! Glad that you got it working!

;)

7. Puner

Puner Member

hi,

since there are only 2 posts in afterdawn talking about ms antispyware, i'll post my problem here :)

ms a-s wont start up with windows. i have real time protection and everything checked that should make it start up with windows, but it doesnt. Only my AV does...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  8. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Open MS AS...go to options/settings/general Is the "hide icon on the system tray" unchecked?

9. Puner

Puner Member

thanks for the response

but no it isnt checked. it only runs when i actually run the program maually.v12

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  10. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Puner, did you find an answer?

Recently happened to me as well, MS Antispyware wouldn't load on startup. I had to delete items out of quarantine,then everything went back to normal. Hope this helps.