1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft is invading my privacy!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dragonz17, Mar 1, 2007.

1. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Hi there, for some profound reason Microsoft has somehow implemented some sort of spyware on my system.

I have no idea why there doing this and what there actually monitoring?

I carried out scans with different anti-spyware programs such as spybot and ad-aware but no luck.

My anti-virus seems to shut down by it self after a day which is concerning.

Here's a screenshot to confirm that Microsoft is behind this;

[​IMG]

2. ireland

ireland Active member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  3. ireland

ireland Active member

example of the crap by microsoft vista

Microsoft can activate Vista even if it doesn't need to

It's blinking amazing

By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 28 February 2007, 19:54
    SOMETIMES, it appears, that you might be asked to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which activation wasn't required before.

The problem "rarely occurs" says the Vole, but might happen if you install a device driver, install a program, run a new program or remove a program.

So far the problem seems to be confined to Vista machines, but if it starts happening to XP machines because of the WGA, be sure to let us know.

Here is the Volish note.below

It is like walking through narrow corridors in Byzantium we are given to understand. But luckily we've never walked through narrow corridors in Byzantium. In the meantime, here's a pic of Al Gore a reader mocked up for a us a year or two back while you contemplate your Vista perambulation. µ
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37917

You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista activation was not previously required
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 931573
    Last Review : February 15, 2007
    Revision : 2.1
    On This Page
    SYMPTOMS
    CAUSE
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem if it has already occurred
    To prevent this problem
    Windows Vista
    Windows Vista for 64-bit Systems
    STATUS
    MORE INFORMATION
    SYMPTOMS
    You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista activation was not previously required. Although this problem rarely occurs, it may occur during typical use of a Windows Vista-based computer. For example, this problem may occur under one or more of the following conditions:
    • You install a device driver.
    • You install a program.
    • You run a new program.
    • You remove a program.

Back to the top
    CAUSE
    This problem may occur because a specific system setting is removed when a program runs with administrative credentials. The removal of this system setting may cause a BIOS validation check to fail. The BIOS validation check is part of the system activation process. Therefore, you may be prompted to activate Windows Vista, even though the system did not previously require activation. For example, this problem is known to occur when you use Intuit QuickBooks 2007. However, this problem may also infrequently occur when you install other programs or device drivers.

Note This problem does not occur because of an issue in the installed program or device driver. This problem is caused by a system problem in Windows Vista.

Back to the top
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem if it has already occurred
    To resolve this problem if it has already occurred, use one of the following methods:
    • If you have been prompted to activate Windows Vista, and you have not used the product key to manually activate Windows Vista, install update 931573, and then restart the computer.
    • If you have been prompted to activate Windows Vista, and you have used the product key to manually activate Windows Vista, install update 931573, and then activate Windows Vista by telephone. For more information about how to activate Windows Vista, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    925616 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925616/) Error message when you start Windows Vista: "Your activation period has expired"

Back to the top
    To prevent this problem
    To prevent this problem, install update 931573. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)
    The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
    Windows Vista
    DownloadDownload the Update for Windows Vista (KB931573) package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5549C98D-421A-4F77-97F3-4E82A4D6471B)
    Windows Vista for 64-bit Systems
    DownloadDownload the Update for Windows Vista for 64-bit Systems (KB931573) package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C4BC5D31-3CEA-4992-84D7-334D29580EF1)

Release Date: January 30, 2007

For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    119591 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119591/) How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
    Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.

Back to the top
    STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

Back to the top
    MORE INFORMATION
    For more information about how hotfix packages are named, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    816915 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816915/) New file naming schema for Microsoft Windows software update packages
    For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    824684 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684/) Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
    The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.

Back to the top
    APPLIES TO
    • Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows Vista Starter
    • Windows Vista Home Premium
    • Windows Vista Home Basic
    • Windows Vista Enterprise
    • Windows Vista Business 64-bit EN
    • Windows Vista Business
    • Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
    • Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
    • Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition
    • Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931573/en-us

4. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Cheers ireland for unveiling me the truth about the tactical methods Microsoft has gone to- just to control and dictate how individuals use computer systems.

Sigh... I'm afraid this is the last Microsoft OS I’m going to use.

What other operating systems are out there which would be easy to use and have virtually no spyware?

5. ireland

ireland Active member

GET A COPY OF XP-PRO AND A GOOD FIREWALL AND VIRUS PROGRAM..AND SPYWARE PROGRAM.

I use norton internet security and spysweeper..i have not had a virus since 2002 using norton,i did get some spyware installed on my system,but spysweeper removed it..or blocked it..

I my self use windows 2000 as my main system..i do also use xp-pro..

i am sure other members will post other firewall and virus programs they say is the best..

6. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Is your Spyware app "Webroot SpySweeper V5xxx"?

7. ireland

ireland Active member

my version of spysweeper i am using is
    531.2344 version 866

8. ireland

ireland Active member

this just came out its for xp and vista

Symantec unleashes Norton 360

By Joris Evers
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    Published: February 26, 2007, 8:43 AM PST
    Tell us what you think about this storyTalkBack E-mail this story to a friendE-mail View this story formatted for printingPrint Add to your del.icio.usdel.icio.us Digg this storyDigg this

Symantec, the world's largest PC antivirus maker, on Monday unleashed Norton 360, the company's latest salvo in the battle for consumer security dollars.

Norton 360 is Symantec's new flagship consumer security product, unseating its Norton Internet Security suite. First announced a year ago under the Genesis code name, Norton 360 includes a host of technologies, many from Symantec's current security, PC optimization and backup products. Yet Symantec said it didn't just cobble together existing wares for Norton 360; many of the features are brand-new. (CNET Review: Norton 360.)
    OneCare

"It is all-in-one security for the mainstream PC user who wants a product that is going to take care of things for them," said Tom Powledge, director of product management at Symantec. "We didn't want to make it a big old kitchen sink. We're not playing the feature game. We want to make the features right for every customer."

Norton 360 is designed to compete with the latest products from McAfee as well as security newcomer Microsoft, which shipped Windows Live OneCare last May. Following Microsoft's lead, all of the latest security products combine basic antivirus, antispyware and firewall technologies with backup features and several tune-up tools for Windows PCs--features Symantec and McAfee traditionally charged extra for.

Microsoft's entry into the market has heightened competition for consumers' security dollars. In 2005, the worldwide market for consumer antivirus software reached $1.95 billion, up 17 percent year over year, according to research from Gartner. Symantec dominated the space, taking a 70 percent piece of the pie.

Norton 360 is part of Symantec's broader vision for the next generation of online security, coined Security 2.0. The company sees a major role for itself in restoring consumers' trust in online commerce. As such, Norton 360 includes technologies to protect online transactions in addition to techniques to block traditional threats from malicious software.

Norton 360 is now available for purchase through the Symantec online store and is slated to be on store shelves in March. The suggested retail price is $79.99 for use on up to three PCs and including one year of updates, which is $10 more than Norton Internet Security.

Symantec plans to offer Norton Internet Security users an upgrade deal to Norton 360 and will ship the new product through PC partners and other bundling deals.
    http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6162139.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

link to Norton 360

http://www.symantec.com/norton360

9. ireland

ireland Active member

incase ye use other spyware program on vista read this

How To Disable Windows Defender From Starting In Vista
    Feb 25, 2007 - 2:02 PM - by Digital Dave
    Of course before you do this you do want to make sure you have a replacement anti-spyware ready to install.

If you have other anti-spyware programs, they will most likely be better than the Windows Defender Microsoft ships with vista. You can disable this from running at startup and save yourself some valuable resources and make your boot times faster. Here’s what you do:

wordpress.com

How To Disable Windows Defender From Starting In Vista
    25 02 2007

If you have other anti-spyware programs, they will most likely be better than the Windows Defender Microsoft ships with vista. You can disable this from running at startup and save yourself some valuable resources and make your boot times faster. Here’s what you do:

1. Hold the “windows key” and press the letter “r”
    2. In the box type “msconfig” and press enter
    3. Click “Continue” on the message box if you have one
    4. Select the “Startup” tab at the top
    5. Locate the Startup item called “Windows Defender” and uncheck the box
    6. Click apply, click ok, then reboot

That’s it! No more windows defender loading at startup. And if you ever want it to load again, you can just repeat these steps and check the box again.

incase ye use another firewall on vista read this

Those steps should eliminate the Windows Vista Firewall for good on your PC. If you need to go back and start using it again for whatever reason, just change the startup type back to Automatic and reboot.
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/dear-windows-vista-firewall/

1. Start | Run | Services.msc (alternatively: Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services Management)
    2. Find the entry “Windows Firewall” | Right-Click it -> Properties
    3. Press “Stop”
    4. Change “Startup type” to “Disabled”
    5. Press OK and exit.

10. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Haha, thanks for that ireland.

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

dragonz17, that has nothing to do with vista as i've seen the same line plus others in xp pro. how often do you run your anti-spyware programs?

12. ireland

ireland Active member

DDP i am sure he will post back if it worked or not...

had to edit as the cap key was on,,,,

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

They tried this with XP.. Now vista shows the full extent of the plans to deny you your rights..

Ditch everything from redmond. and demand a full refund at the same time.

14. GhostPhas

GhostPhas Guest

damn, i had no idea how invasive microsoft is getting

15. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

ddp I use adware pro and spybot every other day.

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

They are being invasive because they believe you have NO CHOICE other than use windows. How wrong they are.

Unfortunately to completely be free of them an attitude shift is needed. The idea that a couple of clicks and a credit card is all it takes to get something done has to go out of the window.
    The alternatives to the M$ monster take some thought and research, and above all.. some time to learn how things work together. What goes with what to make say a burning application that will handle all formats, which codecs you need to deal with strange media files, how to manually mount a usb drive if your flavour of *nix doesn't do it automatically.. and above all which hardware is made specifically for windoze so you can avoid buying it in the first place.

Why does an old M$ advertisement come to mind here.. something like "together we can make it great".. Coming from them it is a lie, but in the open source world it is so true.. By allowing everybody to contribute something, whether it is reporting a small bug, to writing a complete new application we all make it better every day....

17. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

This is getting ridiculous now. It seems like the trojans and spyware are increasing, another one as joined privacy invasion!

I've been using Webroot Spysweeper, Spybot, Adware Professional and Zonealaram Suite 7 Anti-virus/Spyware scans all with the updated definitions but no luck.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the scans using the programs stated above;

[​IMG]
    Win32.Agent.yr has suddenly appeared.

[​IMG]
    Scan results with Adware 6 SE Professional.

[​IMG]
    Tracking Cookie TAC rating.

[​IMG]
    Tracking Cookie details.

[​IMG]
    Zonealaram seems to have it's hands full.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  18. ireland

ireland Active member

dragonz17

i bet by now ye love vista..

19. janrocks

janrocks Guest

20. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

By love ye mean loath!

ireland check this link out.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=11785

Microsoft seem to be getting another OS out sometime in the future. (Information is limited on this site, but I'm sure you would be able to dig out a more comprehensive site)