1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft quietly unlocked an additional core for gaming on the Xbox One

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by ireland, Jan 5, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Microsoft quietly unlocked an additional core for gaming on the Xbox One

Just recently we heard about an update to Microsoft's SDK for Xbox One that would enable better usage of the eSRAM module within the console. Now, the same group that leaked the updated SDK have also said that the Xbox One had received a bump in CPU performance in late 2014.

The hacker group known as "H4LT" claims that Microsoft had unlockeda seventh CPU core to be used for games back in October of 2014, leaving just one remaining core dedicated to process background information and power the Xbox OS.

The unlocking of a seventh core played a role in games that required additional hardware resources, such as Assassin's Creed Unity, to perform better, helping to minimize what little difference exists between Xbox One and Playstation 4 visually.

That being said, the unlocking of a seventh core shouldn't be seen as a performance boost to the Xbox One, but instead a choice of balance for developers that may want extra horsepower to drive resource-hungry titles. Should a game take more power from the seventh core, power to theKinect will be limited, keeping voice commands relating to the system OS available, such as the "Xbox, go home" command, and limiting voice input/control to games themselves.

It's evident that Microsoft is leaving no stone unturned when figuring out how to squeeze every ounce of power from its flagship console to better support game performance. This doesn't play against Microsoft's media ambitions for the Xbox One console, it just shows that there'sgreater emphasis on delivering on a better game experience. As of this time, Sony's Playstation 4 console is still locked to six CPU cores when powering games.
    http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-quietly-unlocked-an-additional-core-for-gaming-on-the-xbox-one

2. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

True but the ps4 honestly only needs the 6 cores because the console has shaders and extra 32 gig of off ram cache to speed things up where the xbox one doesn't need it and honestly i don't get why you need more power my xbox one experience has been excellent with the kinect i have had no issues lag or slowdowns to my games or media.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. megadunderhead

the 32 gig's of ram cache that IGN Says is in there on there channel on youtube and the review playstation 4 a year later they mentioned the DDR 5 ram is not the only ram in the console but as a failsafe pro caution the console contains additional ram that is accessed only by the operating system to speed up the consoles menu responses the xbox one doesn't have this option and robs power from the console instead.

5. megadunderhead

also the wiki is out of date as the information that is posted there doesn't even list the 7th core on the processor which sony has said they have turned on so has xbox one

6. megadunderhead

there is a lot more information going out still on what is exactly in the ps4 and we are learning more and more about the 7 core which is a part of the arm processor in the console..

7. richietea

richietea Regular member

Massive trade off for console owners who enjoy kinect commands.50% increase on its 7th core just for saying "xbox cook me a sausage".So does this mean anything voice commanded in a game will hog resources by half of it newly opened core.Not much of a cpu increase for devs.Be interesting to see what game developers do.Will you be given both options to have,for kinect lovers voice functions taking more cpu usage ,or not to use in game kinect commands thus having more cpu power dedicated to a game? Now the GPU increased core or clock speed would be something definitely worth attention.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  8. megadunderhead

it's not a hog it's a lie i have a kinect on my xbox one i have had no processor or graphics related issues with the kinect enabled i might by the o.s is a resource hog not the kinects

9. richietea

richietea Regular member

Again its a rumour as some are are quoting that Assassins creed for the one used that extra core.This they are saying enabled it to have smoother gameplay over the PS4 version.The gpu is just as much of a workhorse as the cpu.I really cannot see how the Kinect can take more cpu power for voice commands.