1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Small Office Network

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by NuckNFuts, Jan 12, 2008.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I have a notebook on a small office network configured via the XP network set up wizard. In the past it was fine on this vary same router for over 1 1/2 years. But now I am having "RED X" block out messages when trying to ccess my own notebook from my own office workstation.

Last time it was set up as,

shared connection:
    >NO, let me choose.

Select a method:
    >This computer connects to the internet through a risidential gateway or through another computer.

I even tested as,

>other: This computer connects to the internet directly or through a network hub. other computers on my network also connect directly or through a hub

both with file and print sharing ON.

The wizard was run on each workstation as usual in boyth test, and the same notebook cannot be accessed byt any of the network PC's but it can access the other PC's. I used to at least be able access from my desctop from save shortcuts from the my network places shortcuts from before but now they dond even show uop to the other PC's after the wizard was run again for maintenence.

Can I get some feedback from anybody using Windows networking on a gigabit WAN to LAN router with multiple PC's and notebooks plus handhelds and games?

Thankx!

2. Crab56

Crab56 Regular member

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Ya, thankx for the link. I tested each and ended up haveing to use the regedity method and it is fine.

Now for another issue though if it is related to this or not.

On my primaryoffice workstation (the newest addition), other PC's on the network are experiencing sluggish foler brousing from the main workgroup computer, but so so once inside a share folder and it's sub folders if brousing back (using mouse back button). If I try to back out all the way to main workgroup folder (where I see all the computer workstations) it is slow in backing form share filder and then again back to workgroup folder. Other PC's are fine. Even double clicking on the computer icon is slow in reading into the computer sharefolders. The workstation is running XP x64 w/ SP2 on Intel x38 chipset.

If I add a network place and launch as so it is fine from most workgroup PC's on the network.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  4. Crab56

Crab56 Regular member

Same here - sometimes it takes a while to open a shared folder depending upon how I try to open it. Never tried to look for a fix - I'm usually just happy it works at all. If you find a solution, let us all know

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I doesent seem to have much to do with local system resorces since we have an old Dell Tablet on minimal RAM and it brouses with great ease and especiall on wi-fi from shared photo album. Some desktops apear to need more time to cache the photos before I can just snap through forward or back as if i was local.

Does anybody have full or half functioning wake up on lan working with suported router/hub? I can get it to works sometimes but not all and some wake just shortly after all are to S3 (sleap).