1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrate problem

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by durkinjt, Feb 20, 2016.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

I am trying to clone my 1T hdd to a 250G SSD, when I go star the clone, using Acronis, both disks show up as primary disks and will obviously not clone. I have Win 8.1 12G Ram, Lost tried Google and got nowhere any help appreciated.

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Cloning will work so long as data on the 1tb doesn't exceed capacity of the 250gb.Not sure where you get the idea a primary drive can't be cloned to another primary you could in fact delete all partitions on the ssd & start cloning directly to an un-partitioned drive.

There is a website i know of that can help with all things to do with cloning if required,tho personally it shouldn't be required as cloning is fairly straight forward

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

scorp, when using AOMEI you are just cloning the system and not the data.. After cloning the system you can re-locate your data to another drive and set your system to point to your libraries and data on the second drive.. I have all my data and libraries on a second drive but am not using an SSD..

5. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks for the kind replies. When I try cloning or migrating I insert the Hdd as source and then the ssd as target, on the next step the ssd drive shows up as both the source and the target.

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

How do you have them hooked up? your HDD should be the boot drive (0) and SSD as a second drive (1) while cloning..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I just looked at the AOMEI Tut and it's an old version. The latest ver of AOMEI has a SSD system only clone feature so you can clone the system to the SSD and the libraries and data files stay on the HDD where you can use them as a second drive and they don't take up space on the SSD..

Capture.PNG

8. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

The SSD is showing up as the first drive. Please explain how to change setup if possible. Thanks again.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

physically by switching the sata cable ends between the 2 drives so that the hard drive is sata 0 or 1 whichever is the lowest & the ssd is sata 1 or 2 whichever is the lowest. other option is to change it in the bios so that the hard drive is the 1st drive & the ssd is the 2nd drive.

10. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks for the great info, all is well, working.