1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mind-boggling burning problems

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by GawZ, Dec 15, 2004.

1. GawZ

GawZ Member

i had an old 4x sony dvd burner and no matter what brand or format of media i used the movies would start skipping about half way through on my standalone player. so i got a new player but still had the same problem. so then i got a new memorex 16x burner. STILL had the same problem!!! so then instead of burning at max speed with apps running in the background, i started burning at 2.4x with nothing running. now about every-other movie seems to play good but the others are still skipping!!! i just have no idea and it's driving me crazy. i've been a computer technician for 7 years now so i'm not stupid when it comes to computers. i don't have any viruses or spyware and i'm running a 2ghz 1gb ram system. please shoot me some suggestions!!! i just got the idea that maybe my receiver is bad since the video is running through it to my tv so i'll check into that, but damn i'm going crazy trying to fix this!!!

2. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

What software are you using to burn the DVD's?

3. firewire

firewire Member

Have you tried ritek media GO4 or GO5's?

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Your problem is usually media related. As stated try some Ritek or Verbatim grade A blanks. Also when using stick on labels you can have the same problems. Just a few things to mention. These are just a guess.

Jerry

5. GawZ

GawZ Member

ok i do use the stick-on labels so i will try and find out if that is the problem or not. but why would that cause any problems? don't retail dvd's have labels? and don't lots of people copy dvd's and put labels on them and then they play fine? for the software i mainly use the newest version of dvd decryptor or else i'll use nero - depending on the format of what i'm trying to burn. for the media, i buy blanks at the store. i've tried TDK, Dynex, and Memorex. how do i know if they are "grade A"??? are Ritek blanks bought online or can you get them at a store? well thanks for the suggestions and i'll look into them and hopefully i'll get this straightened out soon!!!

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Whatever you do, do NOT stick labels on your dvds. If the label lifts off after time (not like a rocket!) it will make a right old mess in your player. I would recommend buying a marker pen & ditch the labels. I think you will find most here do not use labels.
    I would say the best analogy is that labels are like memorex & princo media along with roxio software, the equivilant of the Black Death in the burning world!

7. tamula

tamula Guest

I think there a few other possibilities for you:
    1. Your burner may not like your media (this has been mentioned) but can't be emphasized enough. My plextor 712 loves 8x prodisc dvd-r media, but I only have good results burning it at half speed, for example.

2. Your player may not like burned dvd's. Some players will play dvd-R some will play dvd+R & -R. You can check this online with a google search with the model number of your player and the terms "DVD-R" (or +) and "compatibility". In my experience when buying a dvd player if it doesnt SAY DVD-R on the box it won't be reliable for burned discs.

3. As an alternative to sticky labels, try printable media and an inexpensive inkjet printer like an Epson R-200.

4. Be sure your drives (and your IDE controllers) are DMA enabled.

5. Check for firmware updates for your drives and a BIOS upgrade for your motherboard.

6. Run a few of your burned discs that won't play through a PIE PIO check to confirm your suspicions. Atrocious results usually confirm that the problem is the disc.

7. Try your burned disc in more than 1 player, some are just pickier than others.

Thats all i can think of right now -
    good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2004