1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini DV to DVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by lakey1, May 21, 2014.

1. lakey1

lakey1 Newbie

hi hope someone can help!!

i had some old mini DV tapes i want to transfer to DVD. my laptop does not have firewire to connect to my old camcorder, which does. after alot of searching i could not find any adapter to connect my camcorder to my laptop, bought a few and all failed. i paid to have the mini DVD tape transferred to DVD in the end. i ripped, edited and burned to DVD, but the end result was very poor, much worse that the original DV tape. below is the process i used:-

1) photo shop transfered mini DV tape to DVD.
    2) ripped to avi using trial version of dvdfab.
    3) edited avi in windows movie maker 6.0. saved end movie to DV-AVI.
    4) converted and burned using binglesoft avi to dvd converter.
    5) dell inspiron 17r. windows 8.
    6) decent blank dvds

many thanks

lakey..

2. attar

attar Senior member

Is the quality of the original DVD good and you want to edit out parts and save to a new DVD without further loss of quality?

3. lakey1

lakey1 Newbie

hi. yes the DVD that was transfered from mini DV was good. there is a marked difference playing the mini DV through the camcorder on my tv than my finished, edited DVD.

on my old laptop with firwire i transfered from camcorder direct to windows movie maker, edited and saved to DV-AVI and burned using adobe encore dvd 1. in this process the end dvd was always exactly the same quality of the mini DV tape. i'm wondering if all the above steps i have to do new due to my new laptop (no firewire) is de-grading the end product some how.

many thanks for replying.

lakey.

4. attar

attar Senior member

You could open the DVD in DVD Shrink, 'Re-author' to select the parts you want to keep and save out as a new DVD.
    There are no intermediate conversion/encoding steps and the quality is the same as the source.
    The fly in the ointment is that each clip becomes a new Title on the new DVD and during playback there is a slight pause as the laser moves between Titles.

Alternately open the DVD in VirtualDub, edit, then save the output using the lossless Huffy codec.
    Next, open the AVI from VirtualDub in a decent DVD authoring program like AVStoDVD or DVD Flick and make a new DVD.

There are other methods to do simple edits and keep the original DVD quality that involve different degrees of skill, but anyone can do it if given the steps.
    For example, VOBtoMPG to join the VOB files into one MPG file then Mpg2Cut2 to edit and save; add to AVStoDVD or DVD Flick and specify that the source file is DVD compliant and they make a new DVD without re-encoding - so no quality hit from the original.

5. lakey1

lakey1 Newbie

OK thanks. it looks like some trial and error.

do you think there are any issues with the freeware i used in my six steps above??

thanks again.

lakey.

6. attar

attar Senior member

DVD Fab to AVI conversion would be better using a loss-less codec.
    Anyway to do the editing without any encoding steps helps quality.

There are hot-shots on the VideoHelp site than can offer better opinions.
    Post the question there; you are usually validated in an hour.
    http://forum.videohelp.com/