1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini dvd-r media that works in a non tweaked GC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SuperTed, Mar 1, 2005.

1. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

I recall seeing such a thread before, but can anyone point me out some easy to find mini dvd-r media that works in a non tweaked GC drive?

2. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

3. molton

molton Member

I think the deal is if your Gamecube has a high ohm rating you usually need to tweak it to get any blank media to work, my gamecube works fine at its default value, which was 208 Ohms, I think I did read someone saying they got a certain type of disc to work with their un-tweaked, high resistance gamecube, but god only knows if it would work for you even if your gamecube is similar and you use the same discs. I used Verbatim mini dvd-r's that people said worked great... not for me they didn't. There's really no way to know other than finding out for yourself, although getting recomendations is a good place to start. Personally I gave up on trying to find good mini dvd-r's because the 50 pack of memorex +r dvd's I have work great, to me the case mod was no where near as much work and frustration, not to mention a waste of resources as trying to find mini dvd-r's that work right.

edit:
    I might be going crazy but I could've swore there was a huge difference in the capacity of DVD+R's and DVD-R's, but everywhere I go to says they're pretty much the same.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  4. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Yeah you actually don't really know what works till you try different brands of media. The first mini dvd I tryed on my gamecube was Prodisc. With these discs the game would boot and seem to work perfect but would always get a Disc Read Error like 30 seconds later. I was beginning to think it was the boot disc. So I tryed using different gc games as a boot disc. I seemed to get farher into the game, but still had that DRE. I was then thinking maybe I should tweak my laser, because I've been hearing that a lot of people were doing it. But I decided I should try different media. The first game I tested on my gc was paper mario on a full size Ritek dvd. It worked flawlessly. So I thought I should get Ritek mini dvd since my gamecube worked great with the full size media. So I ordered a 10 pack, because I didnt want to make the same mistake of ordering a 20 pack of prodisc mini dvd and finding that they don't work. So I ordered the Ritek mini dvd. Burned a game, and it booted right up. Not one DRE, regardless of the boot disc. So before you do a laser tweak, try different media and see how they work for you. I'm not saying Ritek will work for you but thats because I heard not all gamecubes are the same. But I definately recommend ritek. Try these mini dvd first.

5. Ize

Ize Regular member

Verbatim DVD-R Mini's They work great, they are a bit overpriced at 15$ / 5pk , better then 40$/game

6. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

well dudes like you told me before "It depends on your GC"

My GC works wonderfull with the Sony Handycam disc (pricy little suckers), but my bro's GC can't read em.
    Glad to see they are working in mine (tried 2 games so far)

Thanx for the info anywayz (admin please close this one, I have my answer)