1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum hw requirements for playing hd wmv files

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by brandtson, Mar 29, 2007.

1. brandtson

brandtson Member

Hi all, recently on usenet people have been releasing hd wmvs to burn onto a 4.7 gig dvd and play on xbox 360's. so I wanted to check the quality on these on my computer. My friend had a few, so I borrowed them and played them on my pc. It runs decently but when the whole screen changes to a new scene or background it skips a little (audio and video). I'm unsure of how many fps I'm getting but somewhere close to 8-10 when it gets like that. I played the file in different players (wmp, divx player, vlc)and my codecs are all legit (audio and video as I upgraded and downgraded all of them), I switched playing the file off of different hard drives, I played files of varying size... etc, so it has to be that some part of my hardware isn't up to the task. Anyway, here are my specs, my suspicion is the ram...

-xp pro sp2 with no programs open 21 processes and no realtime virus scanners or anything that'll chew up clock cycles and ram
    -ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    -Athlon xp 3000+ @ 2.09ghz (not overclocked, at least passed factory setting)
    -1x512mb kingston ddr chip. (pc2700 I believe) I used to have 1024, but I got some faulty ram and it kept giving me blue screens.
    agp (8x I think?)geforce 6200 with 256mb ram.
    -2x40gig hdds both ide, one with a SATA adapter the other ata100.
    -1x160gig hdd ide with a sata adapter

This computer was sort of put together through donations and picking through my dad's parts bin from a year or two back so I don't know the exact specs of everything. Additionally, I know you guys can't predict what part of my hw is the weak point, but I'm sure you guys have a better idea than me, and an educated suggestion is better than a blind opinion.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Keep in mind I'm a broke college student so I really can't spring for a small super computer.

2. brandtson

brandtson Member

I forgot to tell you the resolution of the wmv's are 1080p and that I have the latest stable nvidia drivers