1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minor jumps in DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by spacemans, Aug 25, 2003.

1. spacemans

spacemans Member

I have created a couple of DVDs using WINDVD Creator and TMPGenc and even DVD Shrink when they work out too big.

I have noticed that this can result in the DVD being slightly jumpy when there is little happenng or if it is a distance shot of something.

It's a little like and occasional frame being removed.

Is this caused by VBR ?

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Try changing the discs you use though what you are seeing is probably slight pixelation due to the compression.

3. tveith

tveith Member

this happens to me sometimes also. what version of dvdshrink are you using? I find i have more skips using version 3.0 beta 5. If I use the standard version 2.3 the skips disappear. I also find that the skips only occur on my panasonic player but not on my toshiba.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What media you all using?

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Got a feeling that it might be X4 burning that makes this occur , or Grade B media perhaps..?

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Or an older player....

7. tveith

tveith Member

I just finished burning a few more backups with DVDShrink beta 5. They all work on my Toshiba but have minor skips on my Panasonic for the first chapter, and then they play the remainder of the film without problems. And yes, my Panasonic is first generation so I'm happy just to see that it can play DVD-R disks at all. My Toshiba is a newer model and always plays my backups flawlessly when using DVDShrink to rip and encode.

As for DVD media, I use Memorex 2X DVD-R disks and have not had any problems other than when using them with DVDXCopy. So instead of messing around with DVDXCopy, I threw it out the window as the piece of garbage it is and am sticking with DVDShrink.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Good man. DVDXcopy is a decent program, but its geared at the less knowledgeable and lazy people, rather than those who can figure it out for themselves.

9. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I find that if you use 'analysis' with DVD Shrink v3 beta 5 before backing up the files the result is noticeably better and so far works fine with my Memorex discs at 4x. However I am yet to be convinced that ripping of files, whichever programme you use, has anything to do with poor playback or incompatibility with certain brands of discs. Skipping in my opinion is down almost entirely to blank disc quality and the player. Poor quality files can only accentuate the problem but are not the main cause. Don't forget also that poor quality files and even incomplete ripped files can result from a bad original disc.

10. tveith

tveith Member

Discmania, I would tend to agree with you except for one thing. I burned 12 movies using DVDXCopy which all skipped at about the 70+ minute mark. Then I used DVDShrink and Nero to rip/encode/burn the exact same movies.

In both cases, I used the same PC, the same burner, the same media, and the same stand alone players and the results were 100% flawless backups with DVDShrink and Nero.

Since I posted my thread on the DVDXCopy forums about this issue, I have received Private Messages from three other individuals who had the exact same problem as I did and it was resolved by using DVDShrink and Nero.

So yes, there are many factors contributing to playback problems, but you have to admit that when the only thing that is changed is the software (DVDXCopy vs. DVDShrink), that kinda tells you something!

11. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Point taken but I think it more than likely tells you that another programme on your PC is conflicting with DVDXCopy. This can happen with any software and it is very difficult to resolve unless you're an expert. Have you tried completely uninstalling then re-installing DVDXCopy? Also have you contacted 321 studios about it? I use DVDXCopy too, as well as DVD Shrink, and have never had any problems.

12. clueless1

clueless1 Member

spacemans.. try using a different program .. like dvd2one or dvdxpres.

i use dvdxpress just because i am lazy and i have a dvd-rom and a dvd-rw drive.. i just load it up and hit start.

i have never had any problems.

does the jumping occur when playing on a dvd-rom drive?

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVDXpress lol - use a freebie

14. jonnydoe.

jonnydoe. Member

Use dvd shrink with deep analysis, Nero or recordnow (recordnow better for compatibility) some good quality dvd-r's (I would say ritek but ive just had 3 coasters out of 10 g03's so im looking for something else, verbatim good ive heard) and a new player with a decent dvs loader. Dont use samsung unless you want chapter pauses and jumps.. I think a lot relies on a decent player and the original disc copied from.

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member