1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

missing BUP prob

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by andymunro, Feb 28, 2005.

1. andymunro

andymunro Member

In a thread started by Patmann "the perfect way i make DVDs" vurbal wrote at the bottom

"BUP files are simply backup copies of IFO files. That's why every IFO file has a corresponding BUP file. The only time they're even read is when your player has problems reading the IFO."

I have a dvd iso on my hardrive which is missing a BUP file which is needed to burn the disc. is there any chance i can make a BUP out of an IFO file (which I do have) bearing in mind I don't do any coding or scripting. basically is there a program which will do it for me?

have a look around the forums and cant find anything to help me, i posted in advanced as i found the above quote in this section - apologies if you think i should have posted somewhere else.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

If your missing files , I know that using main movie VOBs and title set IFO can be run thru DVD2One & it'll create correct DVD structure.

Usually it'd be a VIDEO_TS folder that was missing a BUP/IFO/VOB file ...

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

P.S. No asking for individuals in thread title (as per forum rules)

4. andymunro

andymunro Member

yeah your right! its from the video_ts folder, theres nothing in the audio ts folder at all. VTS_O2_0.BUP to be presise :)

because of the nature of the dvd i reckon the IFO/BUP files are a bit more complex than simply play the VOB sort of instruction if that makes sense. The dvd is one of these virtual/interactive ones so viewing the vob on its own looks strange, im assuming the ifo makes the player skip certain seconds and bits out depending on what option you choose to play, do you know what i mean?

Im goin to get hold of that program and have a go with it tonight. Will let you know how i get on thanks for your help!

ps - sorry didnt mean to make it for his eyes only just to point it out to him, wont do it again :)

5. andymunro

andymunro Member

i only actually have one blank dvd left and i dont want to waste it, can i burn a working dvd with just the vob/ifo files and ignore the bup files?

6. andymunro

andymunro Member

this may be a running comentary but it is keeping me sane at the moment, i have just discovered ifoedit, and ive just managed to make a new ifo with the bup, so im goin to try and burn the dvd now and hopefully will have a full working version!

am excited cos its a breakthru for me!

7. andymunro

andymunro Member

THE SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM - FOR ANYONE WHO NEEDS TO KNOW! quick run through

I had the audio_ts folder and the video_ts folder should have been simple to drop into nero to burn a dvd.

problem - one of the .bup files was missing, i had the ifo and the vob.

solution - downloaded ifoedit from www.ifoedit.com

opened VTS_02_0.ifo (as it was the bup for this i was missing)

click save and set it to save a new ifo in a new folder, CLICKED YES when the diaolgue box apprears asking "do you want to save it .bup as well?"

resulting in a copy of the original ifo and a new .bup

copy the bup into the video_ts folder and ready to burn the new dvd, which im happy to resprt working fantastically.

HERBSMAN - thatnks for trying to help, and i hope this helps anyone who finds themselves in the same position as me.

what would we do without the internet? well more than 75% of us here wouldn't have these problems in the first place would we :)

8. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you want to do things the easy way a BUP file can be re-created by simply copying the IFO and renaming the copy. You can use the same method to make an IFO file from a BUP.

9. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

Its been a long time, what up herbsman! Still going strong I see. PM me, im planning on going to Amsterdam for a week over the summer.

10. andymunro

andymunro Member

vurbal - tried doing that, had computer was having none of it though, would rename the file but i couldn't change the file type - i have no idea why!