1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

missing drivers after windows xp upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Eric1987, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Eric1987

Eric1987 Member

i just recently upgraded my Hp computer from windows xp home edition to windows xp pro sp2 and well when i got it all up and all i come to find that my ethernet adapter was not installed or was corrupted and so i connected my cable modem from the usb cord and it connected and well i went to hp website and downloaded the original netword adapters and it installed and was showing its working properlly but when i restart it comes up and says that there is limited or no connectivity and came up and local area connection 2 i dont know if its cuz i have the usb device connected or if its cuz the ethernet adapter is damaged can anyone help me with this?

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Don't know which you plan on using, the USB or the NIC....but I'll give it a shot.

After the OS, make sure you've installed the chipset drivers first. Reboot. Then Video, Sound....then install the NIC drivers separately.

If that still doesn't work, and you've installed those correctly....go to the Device Manager, remove the NIC from the list (uninstall). Remove any LAN connections from My Network Places. Reboot..Windows should find the device again.

3. Eric1987

Eric1987 Member

ok i went to hp website and downloaded the original chipset driver and well the instructions made no sense cuz it said to open the device manager and well i did and it said click the + sign next to other devices and i did and there wasnt no device that said chipset at all it said sm bus controller how can i find the chipset driver so i can update it or if it is not even installed how can i install it?

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

You can also try going to device manager and see the list of your computers hardware and expand everything and if you find anything with an Yellow Exclamation mark you right click that and hit update driver. Make sure you are connected to the net at that time.

You should be able to let windows search and find and install the updated driver for the problem. If not you can use a program called Everest Home Edition it can show you your computers hardware and it will give you links to the sites you can get the updates for your drivers.

Everest Home Edition
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Good Luck...

5. Eric1987

Eric1987 Member

Well i just went out and bought a new linksy ethernet adapter and installed it and it works well so for right now thats what im using