1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

missing giggs

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by potherb, Mar 7, 2007.

1. potherb

potherb Member

I have installed a new western digital harddrive (250 giggs) in my computer around 3 weeks ago . I have downloaded/added quite a few files atc to the tune of 96 giggs(approx ) however I have just noticed that I have 11.1 giggs free space BUT where the hell have I "lost" around 130 giggs of free space? I have been into administration which confirms I have a 250g and 11.1 g free space . Is there any program/software that will tell me any more info? The administration screen says my hard disk is healthy and shows the partition to be 232gb. Can anyone help on this matter please

2. steimy

steimy Active member

that is really odd, can not say i have run into that problem myself.
    Are you sure that you only used 96GB of the space? Did it start out saying 232GB when it was blank?

3. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

Sounds like there's a duplication of the downloaded material. Search your harddrive for a file that you've downloaded and see if it's in another location as well.

If that is not the case, open up your command prompt and type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes). That will scan for any bad clusters.

4. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

Sounds like there's a duplication of the downloaded material. Search your harddrive for a file that you've downloaded and see if it's in another location as well.

If that is not the case, open up your command prompt and type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes). That will scan for any bad clusters.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what service pack is on your windows & presuming xp?

6. potherb

potherb Member

Hi Folks,
    Interesting, I have tried to run chkdsk and it says it is in use by another program which as far as I know it isn't and then it states thatit must be dismounted, also "all opened handles to this volume would then be invalid" I did not go ahead with the dismount proceedure as I don't want to lose everything I have on there without backing it up first! plus I haven't a clue what the statement means anyway. I am running xp sp2

7. pushur

pushur Member

8. pushur

pushur Member

9. potherb

potherb Member

Hi Pushur,Thanks for the info, I went into system information today before reading your comment and I think I see where you are coming from. i have listed the info it gave and was totaly mystified as one section says I have 128 gb further down it says 250gb. have I formatted incorrectly or something? There is only 1 partition and I thought the drives over a certain size problem went away after xp was introduced.I think I now have some idea where the missing 100+ giggs are!
    Description Disk drive
    Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
    Model WDC WD2500JB-22GVC0
    Bytes/Sector 512
    Media Loaded Yes
    Media Type Fixed hard disk
    Partitions 1
    SCSI Bus 0
    SCSI Logical Unit 0
    SCSI Port 0
    SCSI Target ID 1
    Sectors/Track 63
    Size 128.00 GB (137,436,203,520 bytes)
    Total Cylinders 16,709
    Total Sectors 268,430,085
    Total Tracks 4,260,795
    Tracks/Cylinder 255
    Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
    Partition Size 232.88 GB (250,056,705,024 bytes)
    Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes
    I will now head off the link you gave me, thanks

10. steimy

steimy Active member

It is possible that you only partitioned part of it, but usually anyone running windows XP with service pack 2 is fine. It will sometimes just make 2 partitions. You may want to look into Partition Magic which can partition the rest of the space into a second drive leaving the current information alone.