1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

missing subtitles

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by geo1940, Aug 12, 2004.

1. geo1940

geo1940 Guest

When I finished making re-authered copies of Dirty dancing(havana nights)& Hidalgo on my Dell dimension 4600,with a Lite-on SOHW-812S burner using nero6 software and Ritek media,the subtitles needed when the actors are speaking another language are missing also, near the end of the movies they started to freeze & breake up.Can anybody Help?

2. kringles

kringles Regular member

Hi,
    Make sure that the box 'hide audio and subpicture streams of insignificant size' is unchecked in 'edit', 'preferences' selection. You will then see relatively a small English subtrack the contains the subtitles you are seeking. Make sure that this track is selected or alternatively select all English subtracks. They don't take up much room. You can then select this track using your DVD player on either a standalone or PC player. If using the 're-author' option you can right click on the main movie title to select 'set default streams' to force certain audio and subtitle steams to be played.

The second problem (breakup/freeze) is most likely bad media. Most in this forum recommend branded Ritek/Ridata G04 (DVD-r) media. You could also select custom under 'preferences' and use a size somewhat smaller than the normal DVD-5(4.7GB)/4464 MB so that the burn doesn't go all the way to the edge of the disc where the breakup/freeze problems are most prevalent. Try better media first.

regards
    kringles

3. geo1940

geo1940 Guest

Hi,
    I'll try suggestions you gave me and let you know iff everything works out ok.
    Thanks Geo1940

4. michigan

michigan Guest

Also you should try to turn the subs on on your remote the ones you want are I believe "subtitle 1"

5. kringles

kringles Regular member

Just checked Hidalgo, there are two English subtracks, the first is ~4MB and gives subtitles for all that is spoken. The second English subtitle track (subtitle 6) is only ~.47MB and only displays when the language spoken is not English. Just make sure that this smaller track gets copied and use DVD player/remote to select as said by Michigan. Should be similar situation for 'Dirty Dancing' and other movies like Kill Bill 1&2.