1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misunderstood

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Makus, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Makus

Makus Guest

I am just trying to back up seasons of tv show's on to dvd i have had a problem i can only fit 120 min on a dvd. So i just use a VCD which holds 80min right now the VCD is a better value because i only lose 40 min and the cd's are like 10cents when dvd's are $1.50 is there any way to create a dvd that holds 4.4 gigs of video files which would equal 240 min of video file... because if a vcd is 700megs and it equalls 80 min of video then a 4.4gig dvd should hold like 300 min???????????????????? right or not

Also when i put the episodes on vcd the quality of the episodes are not as good as they are on my cpu moniter is there any way to fix this or is that just life plz help...

plz help me thanx..
    Makus

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2004
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Makus,

You are trying to compare Red Delicious Apples (DVD quality) to slightly squashed tomatoes (VCD’s quality)

As you so nicely put it -
    The file type aren't the same and neither is the quality -

Assuming you’re working with MPEG’s use TMPGEnc DVD author to convert to VOB’s, use DVDShrink or DVD2One to add the episodes together and compress them to fit on a DVD.

Pete

3. Makus

Makus Guest

ooook i understand but still a little confused see on a cd it says 80min at 700mb and a dvd is 120min at 4.4gig.. So i use nero and i when i select cd at the top menu it has an option to burn a vcd and i can do that.. So then i select dvd at top right tool bar and it has options like | Make data disk, copy disc, make mp3, make wma, back up disk and burn image to disk so which one do i use to get dvd quality from files that have been uploaded to my cpu and still get my full use of my 4.4 gigs because once i exceed 120min it wont let me add any more even though i have only taken up 1gig of my 4.4gig disc

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You're going to have to concentrate on your types of files, not time -

There are many types of files you can't play on DVD's -

What type of files are you working with ?

5. Makus

Makus Guest

i am working with avi files??? dont know what that means but putting it on vcd is easy as pie using nero.. i like vcd but quality suffers.. so i went out and bought 100pk of tdk dvd+R. i dont even know where to begin should i burn image to disk?? should i create a data disk??? pretty much i am wondering how to create a dvd like i do vcd but i am hopeing to get 4 times more space for video files on my dvd than a cd...
    Ok i have tried to go in to nero and create dvd video files "create hiquality dvd video files from files already on hard drive".. then when i drag the files i want to create it says "no compatabile files found"???? what do i do

PS when burning a vcd or dvd can you acutally tell the diffrence if you burn it at 1x or 4x for dvd and 8x compared to 32x will i see better video quality or not be able to tell under the naked eye

thanks again pete
    Makus

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2004
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Markus,

TMPGEnc will convert your avi's to mpeg's then TMPGEnc DVD Author will get you from mpeg to vob's (the files you want to burn your DVD's). ;-)

You have some work to do, as they say, "Reading is fundamental."

Pete

7. Makus

Makus Guest

Thank you pete going to try right now