1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mitsumi dvdrs...good or bad???

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by showan, Oct 18, 2004.

1. showan

showan Regular member

Hey all.

I saw that Future Shop here in London Ontario was selling 25 packs of DVD+R and DVD-R for each for $13.00. Anyone ever tried using Mitsumi? I haven't tried burning naything yet as I am still reading posts here how the hell to burn a movie! I bought them about 2 hours ago.

Also, what is this DVD Identifier people are talking about, saying they've checked their disks using that... I'm new to all this and wondered what you guys were talking about. Thanks!

2. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

Hello Showan.

Well come aboard.

There are couple ways to identify a DVD code. The most simple is "DVD Decrypter".
    - run the Decrypter program.
    - put the DVD into the DVD burner tray, and close the tray.
    - wait for Decrypter right side window pop up with some infomation, read the line:
    manufacturer ID:xxxxxxx that is the DVD code that Dawnner talk about.

I do not know about Mitsumi DVD but Mitsui is a very good DVD media which are as good as Taiyo Yuden (code TY) or difference media with code MCC. While code MCC is a very good media but code CMC is a not a good media, confuse enough ? take your time sooner or later you will know all of those things.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Cheer.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  3. showan

showan Regular member

ok I don't see mitsumi listed there in the list, so i guess i will open one and provide the info. i will post my results here when i can figure out how to burn these stupid dvds! thanks

4. blktalon

blktalon Member

I have been using Mitsui CD-R's since the mid-90's (back when 2x CD-R drives were state of the art-on a caddy!). Anyway, I tried TDK's and they were crap so I searched for Mitsui's(Media code: MAM-A) online and finally found some. They are pricey($1.20/disc) for 4x DVD-R silver laquer. I ordered 150 and have encountered only 1 bad media/failed burn out of the entire batch using a Lite-On SOHW-1213s DVD burner.

My only concern is that physcially the discs look sub-standard. If held up to the light, the dye spread at the outer edges looks very sloppy and the edges are not polished like the Taiyo Yudens.

I am now trying out a batch of 200 Taiyo's and will post back results. The Taiyo's look far superior physically to the Mitsui's. I have read that Mitsui is no longer manufacturing their media in Japan but outsourcing it which could explain the poor physical quality. The Taiyo's I ordered were from Japan.

5. Venomzeus

Venomzeus Member

Hey, did you test the mitsumi dvd-r's yet? I would like to know since I live in canada too and saw the special

thanks

6. showan

showan Regular member

Hey.

Apparently according to these manufacturer code things or whatever guide this one person sent me from here....The Mitsumi dvd-rs are not that great. But I've copied the SImpsons Season 1 to dvd so far and have had no problems. The only problems were my doing. So I don't know....I guess if you want them go ahead. I like to believe that your writer has a lot to do with it also and mine is supposed to be pretty good. Basically....so far so good.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

8. mrman

mrman Regular member

mitsumis are garbage media. Stay away from them...i bought a few a while ago and u can burn anywhere near the outer edge of the disc because they are so poorly manufactured. the media code is an32 which is among the worst you can get.... Even though they seem cheep it wont be worth it when half dont burn and the others are unreadable after a week or so.

9. showan

showan Regular member

like I said...I've been using them for a week now and so far I haven't had any problems. we'll see if it stays that way or not.