1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mixing memory

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jopache1, Oct 14, 2004.

1. jopache1

jopache1 Member

i currently have one stick of 512mb pc2700 memory in my computer( i think 2700 is the fastest it iwll support) and i want to build a new computer in january or february. i figured i will start buying some of the peices little by little(not the ones that might drop in price, im just getting memory and a low end graphics card) and put them in this machine and then when i build mine put them there. i have room for 2 sticks of memory and owuld like to buy a 512mb stick of pc3200 memory so i can have a gig for now, and when i build the new one take it out, and go back to 512. is it gonna be a problem to have a pc2700 and a pc3200 stick in the same machine? my other question is this... for just plain DVD shrink.. which would be better an athlon 64 3000, or a P4 3.0? just dvdshrink, im not talking games or anything else.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi jopache1, I usually try to keep memory matched but this is what I have read. If you use the 2 different speeds you listed together, your computer will run both at the lower speed. It should work but you won't see any speed improvement from the faster memory when mixed. When you install the 3200 in the new computer it will work at that speed. Good luck.
    I like AMD processors mainly for their price and they are good. If money isn't an issue, I think I would go with P4.

Jerry
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Not that big of a difference. If it was between the Athlon64-3500 and the P4C-3.0 then it would definitely be the AMD route (or reverse if it was a P4C-3.2). Realistically DVDShrink isnt that uber-intensive and picking one or the other will not result in performance improvement of like 50% or anything).

As for mixing memory, Jerry is right in that mixing will result in running them all at the lowest common speed. SOME motherboards dont like mixed memory at all and will refuse to boot (very uncommon). :)