1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mkv file won't open

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Barrys, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Barrys

Barrys Member

I downloaded via torrent a tv series and all files are .mkv. Some will open so I can convert, but many will not. The folder for the ones that will not say empty file, yet when opened the file is large but will not open. I have searched this forum for topics on this but could not find this issue. When I use various downloaded palyers it comes up " bad file name" The file won't let me rename it or move it to another location. Please help

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What player or converter have you tried?
    It is possible the files got corrupted during upload/download.

Use MediaInfo and post the information about the files that don't work.

Also, try to use Mkvmerge/mkvextract and see if it can open the files and re-pack them.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/mkvtoolnix.cfm
    Also, VLC is pretty good at playing damaged files.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  3. Barrys

Barrys Member

I just downloaded and tried to open the file w/ everything you suggested, however i keep getting a notify that the file name is invalid

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The I am afraid your download might be corrupt/incomplete. Just re-download only the problematic files(unless someone comes along and has another suggestion for your problem).

5. Barrys

Barrys Member

Thank's. It took days for these files to download from torrent. I think I'll wait for more suggestions. I do appreciate your help though.

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

7. Barrys

Barrys Member

I just now moved the folder w/ the mkv files to C/ directory from the folder it was downloaded in and now it let's me open it! I'm learning. BTW is there a freeware that will convert all my files to 1 file that I can put on a dvd w/o converting one to another? Thanks in advance.

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Not sure I understand what you're looking for...Do you want to merge all the MKV files into one large KMV, or convert them to DVD video so you can watch them in a standalone player?

9. Barrys

Barrys Member

one program that will convert files ie avi, mkv etc to a format that will let me produce dvd's that will work on my stand alone players. Also since the mkv files are a true to life quality file how can i convert them to a blue-ray quality dvd?

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That is an oxymoron...cannot happen. The only way you could preserve the quality entirely,is if you had a player that could play the video/audio inside that MKV file without re-encoding(like a PS3 or Blu Ray player for example).
    However, if the source video is good, you'll have very good results.
    For free software, you can try AvStoDVD , DVD Flick, The FilmMachine .
    For commercial software, COnvertxtoDVD.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/The_FilmMachine
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/avstodvd/

11. Barrys

Barrys Member

I appreciate that. Currently i use DVD Flick to make the dvd's. To convert my mkv files i use avi2dvd, then i have to use autogk to convert those to a avi file so that DVDflick will convert. It's a lot of work.

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Wait barry, you lost me...
    I don't understand why you have to use AutoGK...from what I know, AutoGk doesn't even support MKV...
    You should convert directly to DVD using either of the software I mentioned(2 of which you said you're using;avi2DVD or DVD Flick should convert the MKV directly to DVD, no intermediate AVI step needed)...
    All you need is one software(2 if you consider a burner!)

13. Barrys

Barrys Member

Thank you...I guess i got caught up in everything. Your'e right, i just checked and dvdflick will produce the dvd from the mkv file. I need a drink! Well here's to ya! I really appreciate your help. Thank you Barry

14. Barrys

Barrys Member

One last question. I like avi files because they can be read by my dvd players. I can put a bunch on a data dvd for playback. Avi2dvd convert's my mkv files to a tsvideo file and from that i have to use autogk to convert the tsvideo file to a avi. How can I simplyfy this process?

15. mistycat

mistycat Active member

16. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

LOL, how about have another drink:)?
    If your DVD player can play AVIs, then is really simple,you just need a program that converts directly to AVI, no need to do MKV->DVD->AVI and loose tons of time and quality.There are numerous free aplications that can do that.

Try this free program, I have used it and I am happy with it:

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Another free one is Staxrip . It has a bit more control over the conversion, but the GUI might be a bit more intimidating.