1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.mkv files

Discussion in 'Blu-ray' started by narrn001, Mar 12, 2012.

1. narrn001

narrn001 Member

I have .mkv files in 720p resolution each about 1.0-1.5 GB in size, and when I use nero Video to author a blu-ray disc out of them, each file I put on the disc ends up taking 10GB. So I can only fit about 2 of those files on a 25GB blu-ray disc. Was wondering is there a way that these files GB files can be put onto a blu-ray disc and played as a blu-ray but retain the its original size on the disc w/o quality loss, i.e. retain the 1.0-1.5 GB file size.

2. hello_hello

hello_hello Member

Your Bluray player doesn't play MKVs?? What brand/model is it? Many Bluray players (pretty much all current models) will play MKVs either burned to DVD/Bluray disc as data files or via USB.

Nero is probably just using the maximum possible bitrate, or encoding using mpeg2. As my player is MKV capable, I've never created a standard Bluray disc, but I'd try a different conversion program. In theory if you re-encode using the x264 encoder and output AVCHD compliant files, Nero should be able to burn them and they'll be playable in a Bluray player. MeGUI should be able to do it, and without needing to increase the file size too much.

Unfortunately it's not a process I can explain (not having made a Bluray compliant disc), and if black bars have been cropped when encoding the MKV files in the first place, they'll have to be put back when when re-encoding to make the video Bluray compliant.... it'd be so much simpler just to use an MKV capable playback device.

If you can afford it, and if you have a lot of MKV files, then buying a new Bluray player might be an easier option (assuming yours won't already play MKVs). Currently they're all being infected with Cinavia copy protection, but you might still be able to buy a player without it. If not, there's quite a few other types of standalone media players which will play MKVs. These days, even most new TVs have built in media players which will play MKV files. Do you have a laptop with a VGA or HDMI output? If so, maybe consider using it to play MKVs.

I can understand re-encoding DVD/Bluray discs to have the video in a more convenient format, but these days there doesn't seem much point in doing it the other way around given the availability of alternative playback devices.

3. narrn001

narrn001 Member

hi thank you very much for the thorough input. Well I guess making a mkv disc seems to be the way to go, but I was wondering what if I want DVD/Blu-Ray style menu's and stuff like that etc?

4. hello_hello

hello_hello Member

If you want DVD/Blu-Ray style menu's and stuff like that(although getting rid of those annoyances is one reason I re-encode), then I guess you'll need to create a Bluray compliant disc.

Have you tried MultiAVCHD? I've never used it myself, so I don't know exactly what it can and can't do.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  5. stdlbw18

stdlbw18 Member

You are going to need something like Adobe Encore to get menus back. You will have to re author them.