1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.mkv playback

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by STOPOT, Feb 11, 2008.

1. STOPOT

STOPOT Member

I have a .mkv format video that can fit on a DVD-DL and I want it to play on a HDTV but I don't have any .mkv playing device, how can I play the video on the HDTV. (Does not have to be in .mkv format).
    Also, if I convert the .mkv file so that it is playable, will the size of the file get larger that it might not fit on a DVD-DL?
    p.s. I have a ps3, so file formats supported by the ps3 I can play on the HDTV.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

3. STOPOT

STOPOT Member

Thanks. I've got a question about that though, does the quality of the video change after the conversion, and does the size of the file change also?

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

"There will be no re-compression done"- that means no quality loss.

The file size might be even smaller, since only one audio track will be used.

5. STOPOT

STOPOT Member

Thanks again, I was wondering, will the features of the movie be lost? You see, for I am trying to compress a blue-ray disk that was in an .mkv format, but by compressing it, will I loose some of the extra features or subtitles or languages?