1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mkv to BD-R - the best way?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by karlgent, Aug 9, 2008.

1. karlgent

karlgent Member

Hi all,

Just recently purchased a BluRay writer for my PC and a pack of BD-R's arrived today. I have a few .mkv hi-def movies on my computer and want to put some on discs starting with Sin City.

I had a browse through the back-up thread and found that tsMuxeR was able to do this, so I downloaded that. Is this the best way to convert .mkv movies to the standard BluRay format (mt2s I think?????) or is there a better program that allows menus to be added or more features, etc???

I'm new to this so cheers for the help.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

karlgent

You really don't need a BD burner to backup blu-ray. IT an be done to standard DVD media using a standard DVD burner. The only bly-ray equipment that you need is a PC BD player. I've backed up 1080P to a $.27 type 5 media that will play in a BD player with no discernible loss in quality.

To accomplish this I used Ripbot264 which by the way also uses Tsmuxer.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  3. greensman

greensman Regular member

karlgent thanks for asking the question. lol. I've been curious about the conversion as well and just needed someone brave enough to ask my question. ;)

Soph.... as always an informative answer. I'll be trying this progie along with the other ones you have to d/l. ;) Thanks...

....gm

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

greensman

I've been keeping a journal on a thread and you know where it is.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

/me goes to sort it out. ;) Hope I can understand it once I'm there. :p

....gm

6. karlgent

karlgent Member

I've managed to convert. I was just wanting to try out my blu ray burner.

As for converting .mkv files to standard DVD-5/9's, as mentioned by Sophocles, do I simply put my .mkv movie file into the Ripbot264 program and burn to a disc???

Cheers

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

karlgent

Did you mean convert or rip? If it's converted then do as below but if you mean you've just ripped it then open Ripbot and under and choose add. Navigate to your ripped file until you get to a folder labeled stream, look through the files and choose the largest one you can find and click on it.

Use imgburn to burn the files. Now that you're done converting check the over all file size to be certain that it will fit on either a type 5 or 9 disc. The result should be in a file format with several folders inside. Open imgburn, choose "create image file from file/folders" and it will change the file format to UDF and convert to an ISO which will allow you to easily burn it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  8. MaddogBC

MaddogBC Guest

@Sophocles
    I'm very curious about no discernible loss of quality in compressing down to dvd-5. What type of equipment are you using to judge the difference? I have a 25 gig .m2ts file and several 12 gig + mkv's that I need to clear off the HDD's. I can't see how there would be little or no quality loss. 25 gig bd-r's are still pricey.TIA

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm not saying that there won't be measurable loss somewhere, but think of it like this. If the current HD DVD/BD standards are patterned completely by total storage space then why do some of the best visually appealing movies require no more space than those that have much longer playback time with similar quality? The ability to back up a movie is determined far more by the number of video frames than by storage size. King Kong (new version) is 3 hours and 7 minutes length. It's only a bit larger than many movies that are less than a couple of hours in length. In my view it's largely because quality compression standards have progressed beyond the media formats used to store them. Part of the reasoning might have been to simplify copy protection. It's hard to copy a very large file to a single media. H.264 is so much more efficient that mpeg 2 that a similar storage container will render 3 to 4 times the results.(HD DVD?BD)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  10. MaddogBC

MaddogBC Guest

Thanks for your reply. Ive just started practicing on bd-re's. I would like to back up all these mkv's I have but it's tough to justify the current price of bd-r's. Locally I can buy the movies cheaper than the blanks. Didn't realize you could format a standard dvd to udf 2.5 that's great info, going to check out the prices on dvd 9's and burn some comparisons.

11. laz305

laz305 Regular member

Hi I too just got a bd burner and would like to know the same thing. It seems like no one ever answered the question. If they did it was not clear to me sorry.

12. simonlack8

simonlack8 Member

Yes please i'd also like to know, don't tell about dvds are whatever, is there an easy way to convert mkv to bdr with multi languages, subtitles etc.. thank you everyone

13. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

14. hogger129

hogger129 Member

You could do this using BD Rebuilder and ImgBurn which are both free tools. They take a few minutes for setup, but not hard at all. I'm not sure about adding menus. If all you want is just the main title, then this method would work.