1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MKV to MP4

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by alex131, Dec 10, 2007.

1. alex131

alex131 Guest

I have a lot of blu-ray backups in .mkv format. They're all 720p or 1080p so my computer can't really handle them but I know my PS3 will. Does anyone know of a good converter to play these on PS3?

2. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

You can probably stream them with Tversity.

3. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Whats the point when you have them on disc?
    Converting to MKV no matter what codec you used will result in lower quality than the disc, pointless.

4. alex131

alex131 Guest

@sudds: The backups was supposed to be "backups"-he he
    I was trying to ask it without saying anything about pirating, but I'm not sure if this would violate the rules anyway. Streaming won't work with TVersity because my computer has to decode and then re-encode on the fly which is more work than just decoding to watch.

5. FagLethal

FagLethal Member

On my computer I use AlltoAvi to convert .mkv to Avi files. The program is free and also can handle multiple soundtracks and subtitle strands.

I also use anyvideoconvertor to convert the avi files to pretty much any format you want.

Both programs are free and work with whatever codecs you have on your computer. Anyvideoconvertor asks you to buy the full version to get more preset formats, but if you know anything about codecs and file compressions you can get the results you want.

6. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

Hey since the thread is open, does anyone know if PS3 plays .WMV???

7. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Nope don't think so. We are yet to have WMV and AVI support.

8. Sudds

Sudds Active member

PS3 will play AVI, its the streams contained within the AVI container thats important.
    Depending on your machine Alex, it has to be powerful enough to stream HD media.
    I encode to NERO HDAVC, but my machine cant stream it, not powerful enough, so i have to actually download it from my comp through my home network.
    Pain in thee arse, but it does the job.