1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MKV video is NTSC - what software will convert to PAL?

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by JimboMarimbo, Dec 19, 2013.

1. JimboMarimbo

JimboMarimbo Newbie

That's about it in the header up there: I've been given several USA sourced dvds of concerts etc, and have ripped them to big matroska files which play beautifully on my pc monitor but not at all on my panasonic 42" tv.
    As I understand it,this is because they are at NTSC frame rate instead of UK PAL which is all my tv will play. I'd have thought that converting NTSC to PAL should be a lot easier than the other way round, but I could be wrong, which is why I'm here.
    I don't want to lose quality, and final file size is not an issue.
    What software will do this job, and what settings should I change in which menu - and which ones should I leave well alone :)
    I have Xilisoft Ultimate, Xmedia recode, and mkvmerge on board.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I understood that DVD players in the EU would accept an NTSC Movie disk and output PAL video - I verified this info from a relative in the UK who uses them.
    That aside, I can't say anything about the settings for the software;you might find more helpful responses if you post at the VideoHelp site.

http://forum.videohelp.com/forums/18-Newbie-General-discussions.

If I was going to do this I would use different programs to remove the pulldown (if it was used)from 29.97fps to 23.976fps, re-encode using a script then pulldown to 25 from 23.976.

The reason for being so complicated is that it's most unusual to go from NTSC to PAL, because of the point I mentioned above.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Are you saying your tv is playing them direct from usb in which case it's most probably a format issue so convert to supported format same goes for whatever player you maybe using

4. TekPete

TekPete Member

I have to agree with Attar. I thought most modern TVs sold in the UK were NTSC compatible my LG RZ-37LZ55 is.

The first DVD player I bought a Supervision 2500 plays both PAL and NTSC, it will convert to PAL but it's a bit jerky so I leave it on auto. so it's down to the DVD player and it's quite easy to make the Supervision multi-region (This isn't the case with my Samsung BD-D8500M - it ejects any that aren't Region 2).

I understand that the problem is trying to play a PAL DVD or video on an American TV set - they are not PAL compatible.

I’m not sure about MKV, maybe you need to convert to a different format; like WMV or MPEG - I’d been searching for ages for something to convert .rm and .3gp files to a format that would be compatible with Pinnacle Studio and I found DeGo Video Converter and converted them to MPEG. DeGo is a free download (I tried to send them a donation but every time I click “Donate” it just reloads the page). I don’t know if there are limits to the usage; ie how many conversions you can do or the length (one of the videos I converted is about 43 minutes long). But it worked for me. Don't bother with Aimersoft - I tried that and it's worse than useless.