1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile PhoneTools tip for V3 + WinXP SP2 (maybe others?)

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by ommony, Dec 12, 2004.

1. ommony

ommony Member

Well, I recently purchased a Motorola V3 and it came bundled with data cable and a CD copy of PhoneTools 3.11. So, I installed the software and the install went off without a hitch. I'm running XP Pro with SP2 and it automatically detected the phone when I plugged it in and installed the drivers from the cd. Looks good so far, eh? Well, the problem comes when I try to start the program at which point I get nothing but a "failed to initialize <somethingsomething> click OK to close program" error and that's it.

I stumbled across this site in an attempt to figure out what the hell is going on and I've read about 30 pages of stuff about PhoneTools and the V220 etc and everybody seems to be having all sorts of problems getting this shitty software working, but nobody is having the same problem as me, as far as I can tell.

I have tried all the advice given to try and sort out the V220 problems but nothing makes much of a difference for me. If I install the 1.23 software then it loads up fine but obviously doesn't work with my newer phone, same with the 2.16 update -- works fine but not with my phone. The minute I update to 3.11 the software refuses to load at all.

I have run 3.11 on another computer running Win 98 and it works fine there, so 3.11 is the version I want, but for some reason it refuses to work in XP.

[bold]Solution: Run Mobile PhoneTools in Win98 Compatibility mode.[/bold]

And, surprisingly enough, it worked.

So, for those of you having trouble with MPT in WinXP SP2 it's worth a try to just run it in compatibility mode because it might solve all your problems!

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  2. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

Thank you so much, I've been searching for this answer for about 2 hours now. Your post is VERY much appreciated.

3. M3phist0

M3phist0 Guest

i have sp2 and encountered no such problems you more likely installed 3.11 LIT on top of the previous FULL version...

4. ommony

ommony Member

dontbugme: Glad it helped.

M3phist0: Naw, mate. This is what was happening from the get-go. I've never even HEARD of Mobile PhoneTools before, much less installed it. And I've enough computer experience to uninstall a program before trying to install it again. Honestly, don't know what the problem was, but none of the other recommendations on the site worked and I was tearing my hair out until I tried running it in compatibility mode -- now, perfect. :)

5. tong-cl

tong-cl Member

i would like to know how to set winxp to be win98 compatible?

6. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

Compatibility mode is application specific. Right click on the application icon wherever it may be - your desktop for instance. Select "Properties" at the bottom. Then click on the Compatibility tab and choose the options you want to try.