1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobo shorted out?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Xplorer4, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I went to install new ram and pci card. Power chord was disconnected before starting and I'm sure I touched metalbbll before starting, to ground out. All done, power on. System turns on and instantly turns off before post. I tested the psu by itself with the paper clip method. Psu ran fine. Hooked mobo and upsurge up only. Back to original problem. Mobo was out of my tower sitting on cardboard for the test. I feel pretty comfortable saying my mobo is shorterd out but just asking for a second opinion. Thanks!

2. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

try it with original ram to see what happens. clear the cmos as have found that to work sometimes to kick start a stubborn system. is new ram compatible with your board?

3. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I tried the original ram whiles it was still in the tower case, and same for cmos but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try it again out of the case.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  4. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

A little late now but were you wearing a grounding strap? Static electricity is a component killer.

5. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I know it is, thats why I said i was sure i touched metal first, but no I was not wearing a strap. Prolly going to pick one up for the future to be safe.

6. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Once you unplug the power cord to the PC there is no longer a path to ground. So just touching the case does nothing.

Living in AZ the air is so dry sometimes I almost get knocked on my arse. :

Hope you get the thing fixed.

Jeff

7. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I thought any metal surface acts as a ground at any time?

Merry christmas and thanks for the condolences: p

8. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

No, the metal in question must be grounded to something else, like the ground. Sinks, water pipes and heating ducts come to mind, but I'm sure there are many other things around your workshop that you can find.

Not sure what MSI's policy is about damaged motherboards, but couldn't hurt to check and see if you are able to return yours to get either repaired or swapped out for a nominal fee.

9. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

So if thats the case then what do you clip the grounding strap to?

10. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

There usually is a conductive strap on one end and an alligator clip on the other. The strap goes around your wrist the clip goes to ground like blivetNC explained. If there isn't anything close by with a ground you can use a plug like the one from your power supply. Cut the black wire (hot) and white wire (neutral) off and use the green (ground) wire and plug the three prong plug into a wall socket. Make sure you eliminate the hot and neutral first so you don't get knocked on you ass.

"Ground is ground the world around."

Jeff

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  11. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I use a heating vent right over my work table as a ground.

12. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Hmmm the only thing close is some metal hooks mounted to the underside of the counter for the fire extinguisher to sit on.Would that be sufficient?

13. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

You would need an Ohm meter to check if it's grounded. Same with my suggestion of, "If there isn't anything close by with a ground you can use a plug like the one from your power supply. Cut the black wire (hot) and white wire (neutral) off and use the green (ground) wire and plug the three prong plug into a wall socket. Make sure you eliminate the hot and neutral first so you don't get knocked on you ass." Older houses may have a three prong receptacle but it doesn't guarantee the ground is actually grounded. You need to do a continuity check. Voltmeter set on the Ohm scale. The white wire (neutral) is at the same ground level but is a return line. Ground is actually grounded to a transformer or buried with a grounding stake 4' to 6' of earth or better yet, 8' to 10'.

Jeff

14. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

jeff, i wasnt ignoring your solution about using a chord, i just dont have a spare to cut up. What about connecting to the psu metal frame if it is plugged in and turned on so long as it is not conected to to the mobo? Also could you elaborate on how to check grounds on a multi meter.

15. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

16. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

You will need to unplug the CPU because of other damages that may occur besides you have 120v running around. The PS cables are dirt cheap so hacking one up costs very little.

The article JST1946 posted using non-conductive bags is also a good idea.

When I build a PC I lay the motherboard on a non-static bag to make sure it POSTS (Power on reset) and recognizes the RAM and video card installed. That way you do not have to pull all the components out again to trouble-shoot it.

Jeff