1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mobo wont post to bios

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by elliott, Feb 3, 2005.

1. elliott

elliott Regular member

Okay I hope someone here can help even though it's off subject for this website but it's the only message board I subscribe to. I got a new mobo and a 1.2amd duron off ebay loaded it up and the mobo wouldn't post so I took out the cpu and put in a 700mhz cpu amd duron that I had well still wouldn't post so I put the 700mhz cpu back into its original mobo and it wouldn't post which was working fine before that I might add that I also tried the 1.2 in it before putting things back the way the were nothing works. Could the 1.2cpu have damaged both mobos if so is there anything I can do both have new 300watt power supplies I get now warning beeps and I tried booting using an agp and pci video card in case it was some other funky thing. Yes I use a static wrist guard.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you might have screwed up the bios, try clearing the cmos with jumper with power disconnected & don't buy used computer stuff off net if no warranty

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

This I have seen before. One of three things happened. Fist off the MB could be dead or someone set the CPU speed to high in the BIOS. Option three is a Bad or incomplete flash was done. The solution to your problem is going to be in your motherbords manueal unless the bord is dead.

Look for something that will tell you how to force a BIOS reset. its usualy holding CTRL and a key until it beeps when you first turn it on. But all MB are different so it could be any key combo. Asumming this bord is no older than 3 years.

Good luck
    -Del

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Sorry, forgot to say that removing jumper or battery with hopes in reseting does not fix this.

5. ddp

sometimes does as done a few times

6. elliott

elliott Regular member

Well thanks for all the help. I actually had three boards all give me grief this weekend 2 were my own and one was a friend. I did reset bios but had never heard of the crtrl key thing that I might try on the last one that is still not working. The solution on another was reset the fsb speed and change the heatsink fan which as it turns out was not running at the right frequency for Celeron 700mhz and its fsb is 66mhz not 100 which is what the mobo was set at. Yes resetting the bios is really fun when you have no manual and/or it's in french LOL. If anyone has anything else to contribute please add to this thread, in my search for help I found lots of message boards with the same problems and 98% had bad solutions or common knowledge. Thanks again!!!!

7. ddp

disconnect all cables from drives, remove all cards except video & 1 dimm module. reseat power connector to board, ram, video card & cpu. make certain heatsinkfan connector is attached to cpu connector not ps connector

8. elliott

elliott Regular member

Will do hadn't tried that either.

9. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I just had a thought. Another thing that wont allow post. If the IDE cable is backwards on the HDD. Sometimes when the short end of the IDE cable is plugged into the MB rather than the HDD.

10. ddp

Mr_Del, doesn't happen as you can have cable put on either way. only time might have a problem is with 80 wire cable with 1 wire cut to make it cable select & hd is on slave connector even tho jumpered as master

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Elliot, did you contact the E-bay person who you bought it from to let him/her know that it was DOA?

12. elliott

elliott Regular member

Yes I did but that one he helped me get working it needed the new fan. Now my only problem is the AMD 700mhz cpu board from giga-byte. It was working but I took the cpu I bought from another ebayer 1.2ghz and put it in that board but it wouldn't work. So I switched things back and nothing I get power, heat all that but no post and I think it fried a video card so now I am leary but I will take all the advice I can get before tackling that one. I got the others all working. I am not new at this though a novice for sure have been learning as I go, but I have worked on old 486 machines to P4's and never encountered these problems. I even had one that was really cooked but removed everything and put it in an old board I found at a fleamarket and it worked so, as you can guess this really has been trying for me but learning experience to be sure. I found that "duh and didn't know that some cpu's and mobo's have pertection built in so if a fan is wrong and cpu might overheat this happens. I still don't feel to optomistic about the AMD board because it was working fine.

13. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

OK DDP I can see how what I said could be taken the wrong way. When I said backwards on the HDD I Ment the red stripe not on pin 1.

14. ddp

elliott, if you are going to fix computers you might want to get a pci diagnostic card so can see what board is doing or not doing

15. elliott

elliott Regular member

Great idea I will look search for one at Compusa or tigerdirect unless you have a suggestion.

16. ddp

get one that has digital read out plus has leds for different powers ex +&-5v & +&-12v