1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod Chip Options...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by fenshysa, Mar 4, 2005.

1. fenshysa

fenshysa Member

For those of us (such as myself) who have no experience soldering, what are our options? Even with a clear explanation, I'd rather not attempt soldering the chip on for fear of messing up my PS2. I'm kind of wary to mail my PS2 off to have the chip installed, because how do I know that I'll get it back?

So I guess my question is this: Does anyone know of a reliable place online that allows you to send your PS2 in to have the mod chip installed, or does anyone know of a place in Florida that offers this service? And - if worse comes to worse - does anyone know of a do-it-yourself guide to soldering?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

no, i but i do know that you can buy them online with the chip already installed. It costs a bit more for sure but it would save you the trouble.

3. fenshysa

fenshysa Member

Yeah, I've seen the pre-mod PS2s available for around $280. I've also seen the chips available for $20 and I already have a PS2. It would be nice if someone offered a chip that was pre-soldered to the board, or the ability to send just the board to be soldered.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Google it. I've seen sites that offer mod-chip installation if you mail it in. That was like a year ago though.

Smart decision on not wanting to do it yourself if you don't know anything about soldering. Let me tell you - it's not fun. But well worth it if you succeed.

5. fenshysa

fenshysa Member

I still have concerns about mailing my PS2 to a stranger. I think I'll just end up going with SwapMagic. Maybe it would be worth it to call that "ITT Tech" 800 number to learn how to solder boards :p

6. fenshysa

fenshysa Member

Oh, by the way - thanks for answering my question. Your help is appreciated.

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

u know, it's funny you mentioned that, cause that's where I learned! they don't get into surface mount stuff there (well, maybe in the Bachelor's program), I learned that on the job.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  8. Manh

Manh Regular member

just go with the swapmagic, it works just as fine, and will save u more money and less worries