1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod Chip Question

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by snypeshot, Jun 9, 2007.

1. snypeshot

snypeshot Member

Hey
    I have a mod chip question; i just bought a PSP like a week ago and i would like to play homebrew content on it ASAP! (yes, im impatient)

Ive heard some UP Mod Chip will let you play PSP games on a 3.11 PSP (The version i have) but i would like to more about it. i cant really find a link on google about it, so i thought i might as well ask here =P

My main concerns are:
    1. What exactly does it do?
    2. Is it worth buying it or waiting?
    3. How much does it cost? (CAD)
    4. How much is it to install? (CAD)
    5. How is it better than the firmware downgrade? any extra features?

Thx in advance for ur response, i know i may sound like a noob but hey, at least im learning :)

2. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

i beleive the U.P. modchip adds an extra flash to ur psp so u can recover from a brick, and basically run 2 firmwares at the same time. id say, right now, they are getting very close to a downgrader for 3.40, so if i was u, i would wait. all in all, id say it would cost u almost as much as a new psp for the modchip itself (approx. $99 canadian) and installation (approx. $120 canadian) anybody else correct me if im wrong, because i have never had a modchip, but read up on them and i know they are a pain in the @$$ to install. and, it is better than a downgrade because u can recover from a brick any time (however, if u downgraded to 1.50, then went up to custom firmware, u could recover from a brick at any time, so really no advantages other than extra flash.)

3. microgeek

microgeek Member

Dude are you serious ? Your getting my hopes up. Everywhere I read says there is NEVER going to be a 3.11 downgrader. And if there is going to be a downgrader for 3.40 I can just upgrade and then downgrade, correct? I was a little late on my research and got a psp w/ fw 3.11. So depressing, im checkin the net every second for a release. Am I wasting my time ?

4. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

yeah i agree with mrmcman. the mod chip is a waste of money, there probably will be a downgrader eventually. hell it would be cheaper if you sold your psp and ebay one that is 1.5 haha.

@microgeek
    if there is a 3.4 downgrader then yeah, you can just upgrade then downgrade. id say forget the psp for like a month and then check up on it. downgraders are released slowly now. . .

5. microgeek

microgeek Member

awsome I appreciate it. just bad timing i guess.

6. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

yeah sorry dude, lets hope there is a way around that soon

7. microgeek

microgeek Member

Im such a n00b when it comes to the PSP and downgraders, so I dont know, but does Dark_Alex and his team normally give status updates on these things ? or is it like FTA fixes for satellites, they just come out whenever ?

8. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

id say more whenever. try psp-hacks.com for updates

9. Phillish

Phillish Member

if you want to just downgrade get a psp devolution chip, its cheaper and easier to install! read my post on PSP DEVOLUTION CHIPS VS UNDILUTED PLATINUM CHIPS! for info on them.

10. Oraseth

Oraseth Regular member

Or better yet, buy a new psp for probably the same price...

11. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

seriously, just buy a new one. haha there is a guide to see which version the psp has on the box. i forgot what the site was, you could google it.

12. microgeek

microgeek Member

You gotta be kiddin me, I just dropped 200 on my PSP. Im cool with using it as is just thought id downgrade if I could. Its cool though dudes, i`ll just wait it out. Oh, just for my own info, is there any real way to tell if your GTA:LCS is patched or unpatched. I have searched the web but there are tons of crap sites with little to no info on them. Im guessin the greatest hits versions are patched because they are newer releases. Correct ? Lemme know dudes. Cheers.

13. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

i think there is away to tell by the upc code but im not sure, try googling it. yeah just wait for the downgrader, but you might be waiting for a long time

14. microgeek

microgeek Member

Ya i`ve googled it several times. *Dude that sounds dirty lol* Ill keep an eye out. The whole modchip in a PSP idea seems way to damn risky for me. Such a small workspace, and im the type of person who trips walking up stairs so I`d better just keep my distance from that idea.

15. microgeek

microgeek Member

Ya I got another question, my GTA:LCS has a 2.60 update on it. Meaning ? Is it patched or unpatched. I know thats not a dead giveaway but generally what does that mean ?

16. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

immma say that that is patched. my lcs version is 2.0 update. try going to like used game stores, ask to see if you can put the lcs in your psp. if it has ver 2.0 update, it is unpatched

17. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

No on custom firmware you can only recover from a semi brick. With a modchip you can recover from ANY brick.

18. microgeek

microgeek Member

Still you gotta make sure you have a VERY steady hand or its more harm than good. And on a small space, i dunno, seems too risky.

19. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

dude, the mod chip for the psp is crazy the wires are hair thin, davbere, a very experienced mod chip installer said he had difficulties with the mod chip (he did install it correctly and it worked, he just said that it was an ASS) id say just get a new one.not worth your time

20. microgeek

microgeek Member