1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod Chip Questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by AndyOgan, Feb 2, 2003.

1. AndyOgan

AndyOgan Guest

Hey,

I'm basically new at this ps2 backup thing (Yes, my family owns 2 ps2's across the state, and I want to have 2 copies of the games). However, I haven't figured out what version of the ps2 we have.

I'm not really trusting in myself for the soldering part of a modchip, but it seems that the no solder mod chips require a boot disc or swapping of some sort.

Is that true? Is there a mod chip that does not require swapping or soldering? Do you need more info?

Thanks in advance.

2. jr_

jr_ Guest

No. All no-swap mods have to be soldered.

3. AndyOgan

AndyOgan Guest

Absolute arg...

I don't really trust myself soldering anything in my PS2, and a boot disc/CD doesn't sound like much fun...

What would be the easiest one to solder?

4. jr_

jr_ Guest

They are all about the same. 22 to 24 wires.
    Get someone to do it for you.
    Magic 3.1 or Messiah 2
    You can get clips for the Magic so you don't have to solder as many wires but the clips give a lot of problems staying on and getting them set on the chips correctly seems to be a problem for many.

5. 2ezmolson

2ezmolson Member

Iam looking at getting a modchip for my ps2 v5 i know how to solder but not the best so what chip should i get i was going to get a no solder one but some people say don't get that one what one should i get and i have a mem card for my ps2 that use a cd for it to work so i have to boot with that mem cd the pick play game then put the game in would that work as a boot disk like gameshark plz let me knwo

6. ROTzWORLD

ROTzWORLD Member

I too would like to know that since I have a 16meg mem card that needs to be booted with a mem mgr CD to be able to use it to save or load saved games.

7. AndyOgan

AndyOgan Guest

2ezmolson, please use punctuation or something to assist us on this board.

8. 2ezmolson

2ezmolson Member

OK did some more reading and it looks like iam going to go with the magic 3 mod chip the on i only have to soider 9 wires but before i go with this one does anyone have anything to say about it is it good or bad whatever?

9. 2ezmolson

2ezmolson Member

one more thing has anyone installed this mod chip because i wanted to know if where i have to solder is really hard to do what i mean is it like small pins close to each other like this 11111 because i dont want to short out anything

10. jr_

jr_ Guest

If you have any doubts about your solder skills my advise is don't.
    The clips make the number of solder points less but they are a source of problems. Just read through this forum.

If you want to use a Magic. Get a 3.1 not a 3.0