1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mod chip vs boot disc?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kaaos242, Mar 4, 2004.

1. kaaos242

kaaos242 Member

which is better? do these boot discs work i found some cheap boot discs. should i buy them or get a mod chip?

PS2 Slide-Card SET No Mod Chip Needed
    Swap Magic v3.0 USA PS2 Boot Disc

http://www.modchipkits.com/pages/swapmagic.htm

2. PS2Gamer

PS2Gamer Regular member

It's all according to personal preference.
    Myself I use and prefer the Swap MAgic Discs
    My reasoning:
    1. I don't have to fool with opening up my console and voiding my warranty. Even if it is only good for three months, a lot can happen in three months.
    2. I don't have to risk breaking my system as I would with a modchip
    3. There is a lot of soldering involved with a modchip
    4. a modchip cannot be upgraded, it has to be replaced.
    as for the SMDs when a new game comes out, and SMD can't boot it, you can use cdloader or dvdloader to fix the problem
    5. A modchip puts more strain on your laser
    6. there is a potential overheating problem with a modchip, or, atleast I did with my old Magic 3

Nobody has to agree with me but that's my reasons why I prefer the SMDs over the Modchip

But with neither of them, your never guarenteed that they'll work for you all of the time

3. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

The swap disc is tiresome. I just a modchip installed a month ago and at this point, I highly recommend it. If u are good (very very good) at soldering u can give it a shot, but bear in mind, the smallest mistake can destroy the machine, that's why i got my professionally installed.

The guy who did it, my friend sent me to him. I like the way he operates. He sent me updates on the status off my system till it was returned to me.

4. kaaos242

kaaos242 Member

thanks guys i think i will give the boot discs a try