1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod crackdown?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by socal12, Oct 18, 2007.

1. socal12

socal12 Member

Part of Nintendos new EULA for their network:

"Chapter: Unauthorized Devices or Accessories.

Your Wii Console and the Wii Network Service are not designed for use with any unauthorized device or any non-licensed accessory. You may not use any such device in connection with your Wii Console or Wii Network Service. Such use may be illegal, voids any warranty and is a breach by you of this agreement. Nintendo may take steps to disable any unauthorized device installed in your Wii Console, including, but not limited to detecting and disabling your Wii Console through the Wii Network Service and/or game software. If a modification is detected, your access to the Wii Network Service may be disabled and/or games may be unplayable until the modification is removed. Further, such use may lead to injury to yourself or others and may cause performance issues and/or damage to your Wii Console and the Wii Network Service. Nintendo (as well as any Nintendo licensee or distributor) is not responsible for any damage or loss caused by the use of such device or non-licensed accessory"

"Article: Expiration and Termination of Agreement.

You may cancel your Wii Shop Channel Account by contacting Nintendo’s Customer Service Department, or by following the instructions set forth in the Wii Shop Channel. Upon cancellation or termination of your Wii Shop Channel Account, you will no longer be able to use the Wii Shop Channel Services. You will lose all downloaded Content and will forfeit any rights to any unused Points, which become the property of Nintendo.

We may terminate this agreement, or any portion thereof, at any time, for any reason whatsoever. Such termination will void any licenses granted in accordance with this agreement and may prevent your use of the Wii Network Service.You may terminate this agreement by removing Content and Products from the Wii Console and forfeiting any rights to Points in your Wii Shop Channel Account. Termination of this agreement will prevent your use of the Wii Network Service.

We have no obligation to return Points in your Wii Shop Channel Account or Content or Products at any time, including upon any termination.

In the event this agreement is terminated or cancelled, the following Articles will remain in effect: (i) Unauthorized Devices or Accessories; (ii) Credit Card Charges and Your Billing Account; (iii) Prohibition of Duplication, Modification, and Reverse- Engineering; (iv) Submissions; (v) Intellectual Property; (vi) Warranties; (vii) Limitation on Claims; (viii) Change, Suspension or Discontinuance of the Wii Network Service; (ix) Limited Responsibilities and Indemnification; (x) Governing Law and Legal Jurisdiction; and (xi) Agreement Interpretation.

Article: Current Agreement and Updates."

Does this mean people will no longer get to play online?

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

people can still play online. aren't wii modchips stealth when online? i'm sure nintendo isn't gonna stop the modchip growth. the d2c board has the d2ckey now. they should've made the wii region free.

i think nintendo is gonna give a ultimatem, maybe with SMG or SSBB. take out the modchip, update and play, or don't update and not play.

we bought the system. we have the right to do whatever to it. the DRM and DMCA should be eliminated. you can't stop people from downloading and burning games and music.

3. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

True, but companies still want even more money from us.

Fight the man!

4. robgrm

robgrm Guest

Its heavy handed tactics like these that drive people to use mod chips in the first place. It becomes a game of push and shove. The more the company tries to limit uses of purchased hardware, the more the owners will fight back by developing more ingenious strategies to circumvent them. Its a game of cat and mouse.

5. grkblood

grkblood Regular member

I'm sorry but this statement is TOTALLY false. You can not tell me that Nintendo's resistance drives people to do mod. Listen, if you're going to mod you're going to mod. Modding does not get mainstream attention. The people that know about modding are the people that research it and want to know. Gamers don't wake up one day and say, "Hey, Nintendo disapproves of modding so gosh darnit I'm gonna do it!!!" Please...

6. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

Do you guys honestly believe that this is a new argument? Wake up noobs, this has been going on for literally decades! The Nintendo Wii is not the first moddable console. You're only rehashing a decades old argument.

7. ward646

ward646 Member

No no , Nintendo will release an update, it won't affect the modchip in use, and half this board will have an aneurysm thinking the update will smoke their modchip, when it will just introduce a new clock or something.... I can see the threads now....

As for the user agreement, its just called covering your a**. They don't put it in, they kill someones wii = lawsuit.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  8. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@ward646
    Watch the language - let's keep it G rated :)

9. chamonofx

chamonofx Regular member

i just updated to 3.1E and mine seems to be working fine