1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod install

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dviolator, May 30, 2003.

1. Dviolator

Dviolator Member

How hard is it to Install? I've never solder anything in my life but how hard can it be? I can install stereos, and have alot of computer based experienced is it that much different? I looked up an intoduction to soldering on the web and it looks like its just connecting pins with melted solder. Where is the part that could mess up the playstation, how bad would I have to mess up to mess up my playstation2 ? Any body ever installed their own w/o experience? Someone let me know if there is a service who will do it for me? I would really hate to have to but those swap method mods. I have a playstation 1 I could practice on, any ideas?

2. c7015

c7015 Regular member

Yes it is that hard, yes it is much different than ps1, car stereos are so easy compaired to this they are just a wireing harness nad your computer experience will not help you sorry to say and it could be one missed bios solder and your whole system could be gone for good (the bios connections are very very small)

I would sudgest strongly that you get someone to do it for you you may want to talk to l dubb he is probobly the biggest installer on this forum or go with a site like xteam mods or modchip.ca

3. Dviolator

Dviolator Member

thank you kindly

4. c7015

c7015 Regular member

no problem if you had some soldering experience it would be a different story but I did mine and I had no idea that the points were going to be so small but I had soldering experience so it was allright but definatly not easy

5. Dviolator

Dviolator Member

Does that mean that an expert soldering person with the install intructions can do it even if they know nothing about playstation?

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

It should not be that much of a problem for an experienced solderer. But the solder spots are VERY small and can be a challenge to anyone. There are a few tricks you can use like using 2 razors to isolate an area or ic leg on a chip to make sure there is no overflow.

7. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

Or just go with a no-solder mod and/or fliptop case.. ;)

8. ljg

ljg Guest

It won't be that hard, come on, don't make it too big a deal. I just installed my Magic 3.1. I have never put a modchip in a playstation or PS2 before. But I did it, I installed it and it works great!!
    Some tips for you
    Get the right tool: soldering ron 15 watt, "helping hand"(something with a magnify glass on it) from Radio Shack, flux, .015" soldering, desoldering braid and mini glue gun. I got all of these in Radio Shack for about $25. Also a sponge and a toolbush. After installing the modchip you will have some spare tools in hand. :)
    Practice a lot on very small circuit, like a pocket dictionary or something, I practiced for about an hour before i started to do the real thing.
    Don't ever let your soldering iron touch the board for more than 1 second, it is not necessary and stupid and dangerous. the components ARE VERY SMALL, but don't worry. you can get help from a digital camera, take a picture and room in on your computer screen then you can see if the joint is good or not.
    Last thing, test every joint before you put your PS2 back together, and don't freak out if there is no signal on TV when you turn it on, if you are sure that the main board is not burn, you can just desolder everything and hopefully your PS2 is still working.
    Good luck.

9. c7015

c7015 Regular member

It shouldent be a problem for the professional solderer and I would rather stress that you be more carful than less even if some poeple get it on their first time it is because they have experience (dosent have to be with playstation it can be any electric soldering)

also what version is your ps2 because depending on the version that can add to the difficulty

10. Dviolator

Dviolator Member

I've asked several people with experience with the solder but they are all reluctant because they question their own skills and dont want to ruin my playstation. I considered a no sod mod but they all require you buy something in addition to the mod (like a game shark or something)and the costs start to outweigh the benifits. I looked up some of the above web sites and they want $60 for the instal plus the cost of the chip!!! Thats close $100 or more and I could get a playstation on ebay for a little more! I guess my question as I consider this carefully is what could a person actually do wrong? How can you go about messing up the board. Do you actually have to burn it or sod the wrong pins together. I've seen several install guides from different web sites and they seem straight forward ( this pin to this )What is the easiest Mod to install?

11. marvin378

marvin378 Member

The spots are tiny. Some, from what I have heard, can actually be lost into the board if too much heat is applied. Also you have to consider how small the chip (messiah 2). It looks to be of pretty good size on the sites, but it is about the size of a stamp; a little larger perhaps. I was a little shocked when I got mine.