1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

modbo 5.0 unable to load config file

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by sonofhoser, Oct 24, 2014.

1. sonofhoser

sonofhoser Newbie

So I bought a modbo 5.0 chip from ebay and I just finished installing it tonight. After I put it back together, I plugged in the cables, flipped the power switch in the back and held my breath. little red light came on, so far so good. I push the power button and get the little green light and little blue light. excellent! I look at the tv screen and see the matrix log. Cool beans! The screen goes black and then displays a message about loading the bios. after trying to load for about 30 secs or so, the screen displays 4 red buttons with exclamation marks on them and written at the top of the screen is a message about being unable to load config file. If I press start when the ps2 starts the chip does disable and then I reset and the ps2 acts normal. any ideas on how to fix this issue? I will upload pictures of my experience when I have the chance. Also, scph 50001 v9 mobo, alternate solder points used for a, b, g, h, i, the link to the diagram I used is http://sksapps.com/diagrams/ps2/Modbo4/V9-usa.jpg
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. La_Blazer

La_Blazer Newbie

You will have to format a USB stick to FAT32 and put system folder with its content on it. Then plug it in to your PS2 and try to run it again. I have also uploaded system folder for you, you can download it here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=22974654735401351804
    Also, here are some useful tricks (use them when your PS2 is booting):
    • Circle - Boots Chip/system into PSX DVD Video mode. This forces the PS2 to either play PS1 games or DVD movies.
    • Triangle - Forces the system to boot the Infinity Manager.
    • Cross - Forces the system to bypass settings and boot to the Sony Browser with the chip enabled.
    • Start - This Disables the chip. Once this is done, tap the standby button to reset the system to finish disabling the chip. To Re-enable the chip you must place the system into standby.
    • Select - This forces a Fast boot on PS2 games. Basicly skipping the startup animation and PLaystaion 2 Logo on disc boot.
    • R1 - This boots a homebrew ELF file from the first memory card (mc0:/BOOT/BOOT.ELF)
    • L1 - This boots a homebrew ELF file from the hard drive if installed (hdd0:/__boot/boot.elf)
    • To enter the Configuration Menu, hold TRIANGLE AND CIRCLE at power on.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  3. sonofhoser

sonofhoser Newbie

Thank you for your help and input. I'll write back later after I've had a chance to try and let you know if it worked.

4. sonofhoser

sonofhoser Newbie

Thank you! That fixed the problem. Does any of the solder points lead to or affect the sound? I ask because since the mod there's a little bit of a static wash in the sound. Any Ideas?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  5. La_Blazer

La_Blazer Newbie

I dont know, it shouldnt affect the sound, but it is from china, so you never know :D

6. sonofhoser

sonofhoser Newbie

lol. Thank you for all your input. I'm wondering if I didn't accedentally let the soldering iron rest on a micro fuse or possibly have a trace amount of solder causing a slight short. Idk, I'll have to do some digging and see what I can't turn up.

7. sonofhoser

sonofhoser Newbie

ok so the chip that is located next the the port that the network adapter plugs into is the sound processor chip. If you look at the diagram I linked to in my first post, you'll see in section 5 that you are to solder the cx wire to a pad that connects to the sound processor chip. Apparantly what I had done was tapped the pins on one side of the chip and made a very slight bridge between two of the leads. After discovering this and cleaning the pins up the sound works perfectly fine now. Hopefully this information can help someone in the future who may be having similar problems.