1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

modchip bioses

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by showan, Oct 18, 2004.

1. showan

showan Regular member

Hello again.

Is there some thread I can read explaining the types of bioses there are for modchips? I remember reading an article a long time ago about legal and illegal bioses. Do they all do the same thing? Why would you want the legal vs the illegal? And can you flash any kind of chip with any bios? If I'm asking dumbassed questions can you just point me to a guide or something? I would like to have a chip by the end of the week if possible but I would also like to make a good decision from the getgo.

thanks again. I've been in this forum for about 2-3 weeks now and have found soooooooooooooooo much info in such a short time!

2. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

In simple terms, the legal Cromwell bios can only run Linux, no games; the hacked (and hence illegal) bioses like Xecuter's and Evox's can run games.

3. showan

showan Regular member

so then when i buy a modchip like the Xecutor 3 or xenium ice, does it have the bios loaded which allows for playing games? or is the chip "empty" and i have to find my own "illegal" bioses?

4. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

Xenium ICE comes with the Xenium OS. Xecuter3 with the FlashBIOS. Both are legal ones so you'll have to find the "illegal" ones and flash them to your chip if you want to play games.

5. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

I just got cromwell on my chip now I dont know how to put anything else over it.... I have evox and dont know what to do please help?

6. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

7. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

tried those sites thats not what my cromwell setup is like it says dvd and it says bios when I click dvd it says cant find linuxsetup.cfg (might not be exact) when I hit bios it says Connecting to hccp (isnt exactly what it says but I know it's to connect to my computer) and I have no way to flash bios

8. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

9. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

That's what I was working on when you posted the first time just tried it... Keeps installing same bios as I have. I cant get the Evox bios working because I only have the auto installer :-\ I dont have the bin file... If I could find the Evox .bin file I made a dummy file and then I could pop in that cd OZXchip and boot the bios like that... I belive. But still looking for just the basic evox files I've been working on this for 24 hours straight now I wont be able to sleep until it's done lol any other suggestions I would glady try them thanks I have a 1024kb executer bin... I think that might work but I'm out of cd's now lol I'ma buy some at walmart as soon as they open I have my cd-rw but it has the ozx file on it :-\

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  10. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

found a blank dvdr trying it now!!!

11. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

Got it working with my last dvd but it's playing the backups but I dont know how to save them to HD or anything doesnt seem to have options normal M$ boot but with blue x no bubble
    any info?