1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modchip for new Benq dvd drive? And playing on Xbox Live.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Zac2000, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Zac2000

Zac2000 Member

Can anyone tell me if any of the modchips work with the new Benq dvd drives used in the Xbox360? Also does using a modchip endanger your Xbox Live account the way just flashing the firmware of your Xbox360 dvd drive does?

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

as of right now there is no mod for the benq drive, and when they get one, im sure it will be xbox live safe, just as all other mods are right now

3. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Firmware flashes are actually safer than a mod-chip. All a mod-chip has to do is f*** up one time and microsoft can detect it.

4. Zac2000

Zac2000 Member

In some flashing guides, I read that flashing was Xbox Live risky. Now what do you mean a modchip just has to f*** up one time and Microsoft will detect it? You guys have conflicted each other, which one is it safe or not?

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

As it stands right now, flashing is the best way to go. It's free and there's no risk with Live.

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

i didnt conflict with him, there isnt a mod for it, but firmware is easier, assuming you could flash the firmware on that drive...

7. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

all you do in a firmware is change keys, to detect that they will have to make a program to scan the firmware and check it, but all 360 drives have a different security code, im going to have to guess that will be pretty hard of a bullshit for them to pull off. instead if they made a program that sent info from drive back to he (w.e) and checked the output it would be easier for them to tell if some shit(a chip) went active or it did something or it is physically attached.

w.e sorry if im wrong. just let me know.

8. fgamer

fgamer Guest

It seems to me that Microsoft can't detect or remedy the problem their having with people flashing their firmware. Why does Microsoft keep releasing so many different DVD-ROM drives with different firmware revisions? If you look at that question it seems that they havn't found a solution for people with hacked firmware. I just don't see the reason in releasing a bunch of different DVD-ROM drives (which all function, perform and fail pretty much the same) unless it's to counter people who changes their firmware. So I honestly believe if they could detect the firmware hacks they would've been banning people a while ago. The 360 has been out 1 year and some months I would think they would've been started doing the banning. Who knows what the future holds and when they'll really combat the issue with the firmware hacks.

9. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

There are many different reasons to release different drives. Mfg's supply vs. demand, reduce cost, better quality, etc.

Personally, once a flash come out for the Benq I plan on picking up a new 360 with that drive and selling my current 360. The Benq's are alot quieter than the sam ms25 I have now.

10. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

most definitely, i do however like the fact that the ms28 has a bad flash recovery method so if something fails you can fix it.

11. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

i don't seem to feel my 360 is noisy! i think it might b cuz i set my firmware to 5.2b?

12. Zac2000

Zac2000 Member

Do you think there will be a Benq firmware hack soon? Cause I'm gonna have to wait till then to buy it.

13. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yeah, they are working on it now, it should be soon

14. richard82

richard82 Member

just flashed my drive and booted up the 360, as soon as the dashboard loaded up I had a message in my inbox from microsoft saying "Xbox live subscription expires in 3 days", however online on xbox.com my subscription status says it doesn't expire until 03/07/2007. Does that Microsoft have cancelled my subscription?

15. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Yeah 5.2b makes is very quiet. I like using 5.2c. That way I can make it read faster than thus noisier if necessary.