1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modchip for xbox 1.6 - SPIDERCHIP question

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by bigniggy, Feb 8, 2005.

1. bigniggy

bigniggy Member

Hey,
    Can I use evolution version 3917 on this modchip? Is that ok?

2. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

evolution version 3917, if I recognize it right, is a dashboard. Then the answer is no, you cannot have a dashboard in a modchip. YOu can only have BIOS in a modchip... If you have a v1.6 xbox, you can use M8_16. If you have previous version of xbox, you have a lot more choice of BIOSs.

3. bigniggy

bigniggy Member

Im kinda confused, I use evolution 3917 on my xbox.... What is the difference between a dashboard and a bios? Do I need 2 things for this new chip then? Do I first need a dashboard and then need to get M8_16 or just M8_16 ??

4. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

Dashboard is the software in the hdd that BIOS load and run when you power up your xbox.

5. bigniggy

bigniggy Member

So what dashboard do I need to get for this modchip? First install the dashboard, then the M8_16 bios?

6. mdsup

mdsup Guest

you need to flash the chip first...then you can install a dashboard

7. voltron

voltron Member

When you first turn on your xbox with the chip installed you will have the cromwell bios show up. You have an option listed there to flash a bios.Get Evox m8 for ver. 1.0-1.5 and m8 1.6 for ver. 1.6 boxex. You need to do that first before you can get a dash in. Once done use slayers auto installer 2.6. It will give you the evox dashboard as well as some cool apps. here a link to a tut http://www.spiderchip.com/Spider-flash.pdf

8. bigniggy

bigniggy Member

Thanks man. I understand that. I really appreciate it. Take care dude. Thanks again.

9. Enkidu

Enkidu Member

Thanks all ur help. I have an Xbox 1.6 and got an Spiderchip 1.1 from Modchip.com I got it all to work without much of a hitch.
    The physical install was easy and apart from Spiderchip having a photo mixed up in their PDF (they have the 1.1 to 1.5 photo in the 1.6 so 2 wires are reversed so watch that)
    I had a lot of trouble getting figuring out to do with the chip flash and which bios to use then had a lot of trouble finding it. Happy ending as I used EvoX and it works a treat. I expected to have to then add all sorts of utils to get it to work but here I am playing an imports without a hitch. I will report in in respect of FTP copying disks (for back up purposes of course) and also the playing of those copies in due course. Follow the Spiderchip tut for the flash and you will be fine and remember for the 1.6b Xbox use the M8plus bios full name evolutionx_m8plus_bios.rar 455kb in size. I found it using Limewire. Good luck.

10. bigniggy

bigniggy Member

How do I know if I have xbox 1.6 or 1.6 b??? Also, which picture is wrong in the pdf making 2 wires get switched up?

Also, if I dont feel like finding out or if you dont know how to tell me if its 1.6 or 1.6b, could I just use the m8 version to be safe? Does it work on both?

Thanks!

11. Enkidu

Enkidu Member

12. davidc24

davidc24 Member

Which of the wires are mixed up. I bought a spider v1.1 chip. I have an xbox v1.6 I connected all of the wires the way http://www.spiderchip.com/Tutorial_SpiderChip_v1.1.pdf says to. When I turn it on it tries to boot up twice and on the third try flashes green and red like many other people have had happen. The chip is receiving power because the led comes on.

13. Rob56489

Rob56489 Member

I have Xbox Ver 1.4 and using the spider chip Ver 1.1, I had all the same problems getting it to boot up. What I did was took a drill bit just a little bigger than the screw hole on the mode chip, and then widened the hole so I could have more movement for the pogo pins to align better to the mother board. Then I used a longer screw so it would get into the plastic below the orignal hole, and so it would tighten down better. Then use the E wire and not the D wire. I found the pogo pins not ligning up to the mother board was 98% of my problem, and took at least 3 hours of realigning to get it just right.

14. Enkidu

Enkidu Member

Again the physical hardware install was easy for me. First time not a hitch. I suspect many folks are tempted to screw it in too tight as that lifts the chip at the end furthest from the screw. Also note the chip does not sit flat it sits at an unsatisfactory looking angle. But it works. The wires are the tricky bit I beleive. You need to know your board so go to the web site posted earlier. Put on your best glasses. I would almost bet most problems are wires in the wrong holes. To figure the bios well go here http://www.spiderchip.com/manual.html and all will be very clear.

I am now waiting on a new HD to put EvoX on it so I can have fun storing games on it. I am sure it will work fine but time will tell. Any advice??

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  15. voltron

voltron Member

I have the spider working with a 200gb hdd. No hitch what so ever. I am using the evox dash i got off of the slayers disk which gives you all the cool applications like saveing games to the hdd and emus for nintendo, sega, and atari