1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modchip installing

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mrmathers, Aug 28, 2004.

1. mrmathers

mrmathers Member

At the moment I'm using SMD and Slide Card for playing my backups, but it is such a drag. Seeing as now I play my backups rather than my originals to keep my originals safe from destruction.
    But this is a long process, considering it takes about 3 or so restarts for the PS2 to read the SMD DVD disk (is this normal?) and then I have to go through the swap process. I am now interested in getting a mod chip fitted.
    I fitted my own chip into my xbox and it works fine, but apparently the xbox is easier to mod than the PS2.
    Can anybody tell me where I can get a cheap (but good)mod chip and cheap installation?
    I don't want to spend a load on getting it installed, as it's gonna cost quite a bit to have it posted.
    My PS2 is quite old. Would you suggest getting a new one pre-modded? Or would it just be better to send my old one off? Thanks a lot
    Help appreciated.

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

It really depends on how old your older PS2 really is. Newer ones definitely read a better variety of cheaper media therefore spending more now on a newer pre-mod PS2 could save you more in backup media in the long run.

3. mrmathers

mrmathers Member

my PS2 is about 2-3 years old now. It reads all original games first time usually, but has a little trouble with the SMD DVD, so take 3 or 4 times to work.
    Is fitting a PS2 chip really that difficult for yourself? I heard that it's harder than xbox, and i found the xbox quite fiddly so I dont think i should try it for PS2.
    Is there a 'solderless' chip for ps2? An actual chip that you put inside that can play backups without some sort of swap? I know of some chips like this for xbox, so is there an equivalent for PS2?
    Thanks again.

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Solderless chips for the PS2 will still require that you use the Swap Magic discs. No-swap modchip installation is difficult to extremely difficult if you're not a professional electro-mechanical assembly technician. As old as your PS2 is you might prefer a newer model in the long run.

5. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

yes it is extremely hard to mod your ps2 and i thought it was even harder to put the damn thing back together when your done. if you want to get your ps2 modded check out these guys... http://www.norcalmods.com they installed a matrix infinity for me and it worked great. only took about a week to (sending out, modding, and sending back)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  6. VOD3N05

VOD3N05 Guest

newest ps2 version (9-10) are the worst ps2...
    cuz thers some major problem on this consoles, sony put some cheap parts on newest ps2 version thats why you get DRE or PS2 WON'T read any dvd (dvd-r,dvd-rw)or cd(cd-r) once LA chip on ps2 is dead....

so better to stay a away to this version.....
    just get used ps2 or premods ps2 v1-8.....

[PREVENTION FOR PS2 v9-10]
    PS2 user who have version 9-10, do the ROMEO MOD, DONT CRY IF UR PS2 WONT READ ANY CDs or DVDs SOME OF DAYS.....
    LOT OF USER ALREADY TOLD ON FORUM, i bought my new ps2 and its version 9-10,after few weeks im playing with it, it stop playing cd and dvd....or other gonna say after i put modchip on it and played for 2-3 it stop reading/playing cds and dvds...

SO BETTER TAKE THE PREVENTION (DO ROMEO MOD)
    :)

ROMEO MOD CAN BE ONLY DO ON PS2 VERSION 9-10

AND 1 more thing, ther some news about new ps2 version 11, and they said taht the laser problem is fix....
    BUT IM NOT SURE IF ITS TRUE...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2004
  7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Interesting.... v1-8 machines have flakey lenses and v9-10 machines have flakey DVD controllers. What's a PS2 gamer to do? Overall, I still think the v9-10 machines are the best built around. That LA chip can be bought from gameshops online relatively cheap and is moderately difficult to install if you're experienced with a soldering iron. Much cheaper and easier to fix then a lens problem on a v1-8 machine.

8. VOD3N05

VOD3N05 Guest

LOL
    if u have la chip dead ur lens also be affected...
    (some have to replace the la chip only and some both needs replacement)
    but if u really wnat a prevention,
    DO THE ROMEO MOD (only 1 wire need to solder)

my advice to u go buy la chip everytime ur la chip is dead.....

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2004
  9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I guess the best thing to do is buy a v8 and and a v10 machine and swap the v10's drive into the v8 or swap the v8's LA chip into the v10, or I know, how about we just find a parts manifest for the PS2 somewhere on the net and buy all the parts individually from top-quality manufacturers and make an ultimate PS2 from scratch? The PS2 has never been a really well built machine from the get go.

10. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

well ive got romeo mod on my version 10 with matrix infinity. do you think later down the line i might run into some problems with the LA chip?

11. mrmathers

mrmathers Member

well thanks for your help.
    nelswick, i'll check out that site u suggested.
    thanks again.

12. StrikerGT

StrikerGT Member

Definitly DO NOT TRY TO MOD YOUR PS2 by yourself unless you want to risk losing your entire ps2 like I did. I had a friend that takes electronic classes in Vo-tech and he has much experience with using soldering irons and he still fucked it up, even with my color printed diagrams of the installation, the small precision and excact spots you put the wires in is VERY hard to do. So you should do what I do, goto a site like www.modchipworld.com and get yourself a premodded ps2, it will be worth it in the long run, your laser lens will be new and the modchip will be great and no problems since it is professionally installed, even a 30 day warranty just in case something goes wrong. I suggestion you get one with a dms chip in it, or whatever description sounds nice. Mines got a Magic V and it works very nice. Nothing more I could ask for it.