1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modchip stopped working problem

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Kaydash, May 25, 2007.

1. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

Hi
    I have had my PS2 chipped a few years back and it's been working perfectly till now. I assume it's stopped working for reasons unknown to me since when i put in a backup or import it gives me the red invalid disc screen. I have a V3 PS2 and i think a magic 3 modchip. Please if there's anything i could check or do to get it working. I'm a complete noob to modchips etc and there's no one i can take my PS2 to to get it fixed, since the guy that did my chip back then doesn't seem to be there any more.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

two things you can try
    1. clean the laser
    2. adjusting the laser

that is about it other than sending it to a mod shop and having it repaired. You can find guides on the internet for this. Cleaning the laser is very easy, you just have to make sure you get the cotton swap (Q-Tip) moist, but not wet enough that it could drip.
    Adjusting the laser is also easy, but very time consuming. My one main tip would be to take a pen and mark the original position of the white cog you will turn so you know where you started and where it should go back. You basically have to turn it one notch at a time, then test it and keep going until it reads the discs. I would use an original for this unles it can read your originals ok.

Also you may want to check and see if your chip has any mode settings that you may have triggered. Some have different modes, one for DVD/PS2 games and another for CD based games. Usually changed by holding the reset button, or pressing it a certain number of times in a row.

3. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

hey thanx. i had tried all of those already and had no luck. it reads all my originals A okay but with backups or imports it sounds like its going to boot but doesnt and goes to the red screen. which kinda showz itz been read but not accepted

4. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

hi, sorry for double posting. But could someone please help me with this. I really am stuck. Is there anyone who know's how to check a magic 3 modchips wiring on a v3 ps2?

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  5. steimy

steimy Active member

sorry, i do not have much knowledge with those clone chips. I could send you to a site that installs the chips but they do not use those clone chips either so i do not think they would know.

but you can always ask them, Teammodders.com

6. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

Clone chips??? Dude go check the modchip info section for the PS2 and you will see the magic 3.1 there. It's a outdated chip, but they were very much on the original scales at one point.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

no, they are cheap crap with tons of problem. You need to do YOUR research.
    There are only 4 chips out right now worth what you pay for it
    1. Crystal Chip V2.0
    2. Matrix Infinity Green Dot
    3. DMS4 Pro SE
    4. Duo3 Gold

That's it. The rest are just junk.

8. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

dude did you actually read my post properly? I got my PS2 modded a few years back. Not all of those chips were available back then. I had my PS2 chipped more than 6years back. Plus the magic 3 isn't crap. It gets the job done. I've had it for so long and never had any problems with it.

Last edited: May 30, 2007