1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modchip with Disable Feature ?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by ravihpa, Nov 30, 2007.

1. ravihpa

ravihpa Member

Hi guys,

I bought a US Wii premod, so I don't know which chip I got. With the recent release of SMG and the need to update your chip to play it, I tried out the Wiikey updates seeing as how my other buddies who bought their premods from the same place ended up with Wiikey clones, which fortunately updated. I tried out both the 1.9b and 1.9g updates and got the "Testing failed, check connections..." error.

Now, I thought why shouldn't I try out updates from other modchips. May be I'll get lucky or something and it'll update. I tried looking at the specs of other famous Wii modchips like the Wiinja and Cyclowiz. While reading, I read that the Wiinja chip can be disabled by pressing and holding the POWER + RESET buttons for three seconds while powering on your Wii.

Now, I tried it out and it worked. Aka, the modchip got disabled. I tried out backups of upto five different games and none of them would boot up whereas the original Wii Sports game booted up just fine. I turned off the Wii and kept it off for almost 10 to 30 seconds and then turned it on normally and every backup game worked just fine.

So, I thought may be I got Wiinja Deluxe and I read on the official website that you can directly update your Wiinja Deluxe with the fourth update, which is the SMG update. Just burn the US disc, start up your Wii, go to the Disc Channel, put in the update disc, and after a few minutes, it'll say "Cannot read disc...etc" and the update will be completed. I burned it on a DVD+RW and did it, then when I tried out SMG, it still showed me the "Unauthorized device detected" error.

So guys, can you help me in figuring out which modchip I got. Which other modchips can be disabled by pressing and holding the POWER + RESET buttons for three seconds ?

Sorry for writing this post so BIG. Thanx in advance for all the help. Desperately waiting for a reply :)

2. jnaks

jnaks Regular member

honestly, it's best to just take it apart carefully and show us a picture of it. this kind of guessing could lead to bad things. besides, opening it up will allow us to give you definitive answers.

i would also recommend using straight DVD-R or DVD+R discs rather than RW. it might have been jsut a bad burn or something simple like that.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  3. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

I asked this on the SMG thread but got no response, so I'll try asking here since it's kind of related:

How exactly does SMG let the wii know about the modchip? Can the wii detect mod-chips now? Or is the wii able to distinguish real vs. burned games? I'm very curious about this issue any answers appreciated.

As for the original poster, I agree, it shouldn't be too much effort to open up your box and snap a pic of the insides, and it will guarantee you a proper answer and is actually safer than the methods you have been trying (as the guy above stated)

4. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

The Wii will know if the copy is real or not. With the modchip it can circumvent the copy protection and let it load fine. The Wii cannot detect the modchip.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007