1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modded Wii and having nothing but problems

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by LegioX, Sep 13, 2007.

1. LegioX

LegioX Member

I bought a premod Wii about 4 months ago and its been giving me problems non stop. When I received it the system worked fine, read originals and backups fine (both Wii and GC), then within a week it stopped working. It read originals fine but no backups would boot. I always burnt at the lowest speed and made sure the ISO size was correct. I also tried 3 different kinds of media (Verbatim, Memorex, Sony) and none did anything different.

With nothing left to try I sent it back to the place where I had it modified. After doing some testing (which just involved testing their discs) they claimed that it worked fine. After some argument they sent it back and when I received it it worked for about another week and then stopped. Now its out of warranty with the place and is woefully inconsistent in playing backups (originals are still fine).

It will read backups fine for a few times and then it won't. After a while it read the very same backups for a while and then stop working. Its an endless loop. Right now its it 'not work mode' and I've become disgusted with it.

Thinking yet again it was the media I tried some more, made sure the ISO sizes were correct and tried 3 different burners, absolutely nothing worked. I'm beginning to suspect the laser needs to be adjusted (like back in the Dreamcast days), either that or this is a mod chip that has gone bad.

Please if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it very much! Thanks!

2. Akumara

Akumara Member

Premod's are quite dodgy I reckon.

Well firstly, If you suspect is was 2nd hand, then the laser might be dying. The laser dies faster when playing backup games because of the media that it's trying to read.

secondly, what modchip is it? If it's as popular modchip such as Wiikey then you could go to the website and e-mail them asking what the problem is and they may give you a better answer.

3. LegioX

LegioX Member

It is a Wiikey, I'll give them an e-mail.

Also pretty certain that the Wii is brand new (when I got it). I had some trust as I have a premod PS2 thats been going strong for 2 years without any problems at all.

4. hoang83

hoang83 Member

I've tried several wii's and some just seem to be really picky on the media it reads. Sell that wii and get another one is my suggestion. :)

5. Menion

Menion Regular member

just curious WHO did you order this pre mod from? that way the rest of the people here can learn who not to buy from

6. LegioX

LegioX Member

I ordered from modchip.ca after hearing some good things about them. Now after their total lack of any knowledge about how to troubleshoot I am really regretting it...

7. Menion

Menion Regular member

Ok so after looking @ that site I'm already scared of the company, The chip they installed stated as being "Theirs" means they are using a WiiKey Clone basically or an IC chip that has been programmed with the WiiKey settings - Biggest concern when they state:

Warning - A new rare Wii system with cut legs has surfaced . The install is still possible however use of a dremal tool is required - please see image below and contact us using the contact page if you need us to do this install .

That tells me they really have no fusking Idea what they are doing when they modded this console. But there is one last light of hope on this please take apart your Wii console get a look at the chip if it is a D2A chip you are in luck take out whatever they put in and order a WiiKey,Wiid,cyclowiz ect. and install that, but if it is a D2b method and they dremaled it get a photo and post it.

8. LegioX

LegioX Member

I've taken it apart already and it is the D2A motherboard. It seems that they no longer offer Wii premods, most likey due to the new motherboards. However, when they did, they advertised it as being a genuine Wiikey and not a clone and from what I can tell, it does look like a real one.

Unfortunately I am incapable of soldering so that would be something my brother would have to do provided he has the right tools.