1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modded Xbox 360 - Cannot read discs

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by v0rtex123, Aug 19, 2007.

1. v0rtex123

v0rtex123 Member

I bought a brand new premium in May 2007 and had it soft mod. It played backups and originals perfectly until the past couple of weeks. Errors are as follows:

- It takes awhile to load the game especially with backups
    - it cannot detect the disc when inserting (just states open tray)
    - When inserting an original 360 game...a message pops out stating "please insert disc in an xbox 360 console"
    - During a game (upon successful loading) it will interrupt and say it cannot read the disc...please clean with soft cloth or restart console.

Is it possible that I may need to reflash the drive or could it be that the laser is going bad? Oh BTW, I have a samsung drive. Quite the frustration...leaning towards on buying an Elite. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. user473

user473 Regular member

just re flash your original back on .then test it on a orig game if it dont work you know its screwd if it does just flash with a different firmware

3. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

This is definately a bad laser. And you stated it does the same with your originals, so this rules out bad burns. As it is able to read from time to time, it can't be a bad flash. Either the firmware works or it doesn't... there's no in between. Is it a Hitachi or a Samsung and what firmware is on it? I'd suggest first cleaning the lens with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. If that doesn't help, then adjust the pot on the laser. And if you need to, just purchase a new laser, not the whole drive. Xbox 360 lasers are fairly cheap.

If you play alot of backups which are burnt to cheap media, this will (and may have in your case) lead to premature laser failure. Just because the 360 will play cheap discs, it doesn't mean you won't pay for it in the long run.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

bhetrick, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP.
    4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.