1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Original XBOX Hard Drive - Softmod Max size.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by FOXMULDERAREA51, Feb 10, 2016.

1. FOXMULDERAREA51

FOXMULDERAREA51 Newbie

I am not looking to have an ide/sata adaptor or chipping a original XBOX. What is the biggest hard drive one can put softmodding one? Some people say 500GB and some say 750GB. I am looking for the hard drive that would yield the best results in terms of not overheating, speed, etc.

Thank you.

I am currently looking at a Seagate ST3750640A 750 GB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5" EIDE PATA Hard Drive. I just want to make sure that I can use this drive without have to chip the XBOX.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. FOXMULDERAREA51

FOXMULDERAREA51 Newbie

Sorry if this is on XBOX 360 - Modding & Hacking. I wanted it on All Other Topics.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/how-to-upgrade-your-xbox-hdd-super-tutorial.568665/

See below link if the link above is of no use.You will get the help you need there

http://www.theisozone.com/

As for overheating hdd's there is no issue as far as i'm aware of regardless if using a 5400rpm,5900rpm or 7200 rpm hdd.HDD's normally run around 35 degrees Celsius give or take 10 depending on house temp.Basiclly it ain't an issue & this is from personal experience from my xbox's.Right now i have a mix of SATA 3.5" & 2.5",originally had IDE hdd's

Lastly DO NOT MODIFY THE OLD HDD UNLESS YOU'VE BACKED UP C & the eeprom

edit:hdd speed isn't relevant performance wise as your running through IDE
    Finally my advise is use the largest you can afford up to 2tb assuming a softmod can have it that large,a hardmod can

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I moved it here as thought you would have a better chance of getting help.

5. FOXMULDERAREA51

FOXMULDERAREA51 Newbie

Thanks for the info. I ended up getting the 750GB. Once I mod that one then I will mod another one and use a 2TB HD. This will be my test run. I will be following the tutorials to a T so I do not brick anything.

6. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

If overheating weighs on you, (never heard of it from the specs you give), why not run with a 2GB external? It's portable, so every time you back up a game on your desktop, you don't have to drag your entire setup to the PC (Xbox, power brick et al) and it's an easier install of course...

7. FOXMULDERAREA51

FOXMULDERAREA51 Newbie

Just to let people know. Softmod was a success. Upgraded to 750 GB hd. Next I will take my other XBOX and do the Modchip, 2 TB SATA HD, SATA to IDE route. Anyone have a favorite modchip or are they all about the same?

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

duo's aren't too bad,my personal preference is for smart chips,however they're no longer made & scarce has hens teeth,much like the xecuter 3 chips.

Below is a list of chips a guy in the USA has left over.He's a member of theisozone,i bought a few off him last year,can you trust you ask,yes i say as another member had bought from him a year previous,if you want his contact details i have his email address
    2 xenium ice's
    1 xenium blue
    3 xecuter 3 ce's
    3 Xecuter 2.3b lite's
    2 2.6ce's
    1-2.3b pro
    2 duox2 gs's
    10 alladin chips(different versions)-all new

edit: tried to find the thread at the iso zone where the guy in the USA with the chips above posted originally,it's there somewhere..lol..

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is it in the twilight zone then?

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I think it's a case for sapphire & steel