1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding query (77003)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ZebUK, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Just curious - chances are this won't get done as I'm a bit on the paranoid side of modding hardware. Especially my fiance's beloved PS2 I bought her for xmas just gone - one of the new black slimline models.

What are the dangers involved (to the PS2, not me!) of attempting to mod a PS2 so we can back up our games?

She was recently given one of those dance mats and managed to locate a 2nd hand copy of the "game" to go with it from a local shop. The disc is in very poor shape (badly scratched) but it still plays.

I'd like to back this game up in particular so we can use the copy instead of the original. I really don't want to have to hunt down another copy especially after she was told the game is no longer available...

Personally I wish she never got given the dance mat - takes up too much space as I like to spread my rubbish around so I can access it easily :D

2. steimy

steimy Active member

ok you really have 2 options with a slimline model.

1. you can buy swap magic and a set of magic keys for your version. Don't know what version you have? look here
    http://www.mod-chip.com/ps2version.htm
    this method is cheap and will work but may take more effort to copy some games. And will not play any dual layer games.

2. option 2 is to send it to a quality shop (teammodders.com in the US) and have a good modchip installed (and a laser fix if you have a V12). This is a more expensive option but all around the best mod you can get for your PS2
    Crystal Chip V2.0, Matrix Infinity and DMS4 Pro are you three best chip choices.

neither on will really hurt your system. I would say that Swap Magic and the magic keys would be the more risky of the two just because you have to install the magic keys. And have to swap discs every time you play a back up copy.

3. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Thanks for that link but mine isn't listed - it's 77003 and nowhere to be found.

Any idea what version that is?

The link claims that v15 doesn't exist but v14 is only up to 7500...?!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  4. steimy

steimy Active member

there is a V15 and a V16 because modchips say they are compatible with V1-V16

after searching your would be the V15/V16 Euro version.
    Latest slim PS2 release.
    North America:

2 types released:
    - Version 15A : SCPH-77001a / GH-051-02
    - Version 15B : SCPH-77001b / GH-051-51

Europe/Australia: SCPH-77004, 77003, 77002

5. ZebUK

ZebUK Member