1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Theme / Font on 3.03 OE-C & TV using PMPVLC009

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Marrabout, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Marrabout

Marrabout Member

Hi I am somewhat of a newbie regarding PSP Font/Theme Modding. I currently have Dark Alex’s 3.03 OE-C firmware on a TA-082 MB. I read numerous “guides” on how change the Fonts, BootSounds, BootImage, and/or Battery Edits. Unfortunately these guides along with the instructions that came with the “Custom PSP Theme Pack 4” were quite confusing and not specific enough, which could led to possible bricks.

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to create a set by set guide on how to customize one’s PSP addressing the following aspects:
    1. Font Changing
    2. BootSounds (they are files with “.rco” extensions, how can we make our own, such as record our own voice, or even just test the sample files we have prior to putting them on the PSP?)
    3. BootImage
    4. Section Icons (such as “Game” “Music” “Video”)
    5. Volumes Edits/Battery Edits
    6. XMb Waves
    Note: It would be great if the following requests would work on version 3.03 OE-C because many users of this firmware find little info for theme modding that pertains to them.
    -----------
    Also, I have on last unrelated question: Is it possible to use PMPVLC009 on this firmware? If so, how?
    ------------
    Looking forward the responses!... if any are received.

2. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

if you downloaded that app pack, then you already have the tools to do it...i do understand that those readme files are pretty vague, so ill try my best to help you brother!

alright:
    1st: font changing can be acheived by going through your recovery console in fw 3.03 vOE-C>> FLASH0>> FONT folder... the only pgf file you are going to want to change is the one titled "ltn0.pgf". this is the font that is on the xmb menu under every icon...

there is a program that converts TTF fonts into PGF's but at the moment i cannot find it, ill post it in a bit...

2nd: the sound in the bootsound comes from the coldboot.vag file which is archived within the opening_plugin.rco
    there are some wav to vag converters out there...all you have to do is convert it, and recompile the rco (eg: replacing the coldboot.vag through an RCO Editor of some sort...)

3rd: as far as custom bootlogos go, the only app that I know of is Cintro, which in this case isnt working quite yet for OE-C :/

4th: you can also change your xmb icons with an rco editor:

here is the one i use:
    RCO Icon Editor

many people use the submenu icon injector, but that requires too bloody much work! you canuse this on pretty much all rcos, but please read the instructions....

then youre going to want to flash the new topmenu_plugin.rco to your psp... I use PSPset v.09 for all of my topmenu_plugin and opening_plugin needs....

5th: battery and volume icons can pretty much be downloaded from several sources....just keep changing the words on your search criteria, youll find an ass-loaf of them...

6th: xmb waves, I personally dont tweak mine anymore since i found the double line xmb wave i like, but you can find many-a-tutorial here @ AD.com on XMB wave modding....

I am currently running OE-C, and have been off and on for the past month or so....as far as I can see, OE-C & OE-B are the best firmwares out there next to 1.5...

majority of what youre asking ive done myself (or seen it done enough times to help a little)

3. Marrabout

Marrabout Member

Thanks for the reply.

But I'm still quite confused.

1. How do I go into the "recovery console in fw 3.03 vOE-C>> FLASH0>> FONT folder..."? Do i turn on my PSP while pressing R? If so, then what?
    Once I find "ltn0.pgf" do I just overwright it with something of my choice (liek the GTA font)?

2. I am soo confused about what you're saying for the sound stuph.. sorry. Could you perhaps be a bit more specific as to what i should do. I already have liek 7 custom opening plugibs (.rco) and I have this one file called "SLOTH.vag" in a folder labelled "For X-FLASH".
    Is there a simple way to change the bootup sound without risking to brick my PSP?

Thanks in advance

4. Marrabout

Marrabout Member

5. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

you are absolutely correct...just make sure you save that original as a .bak file or save it to your pc or something...(never know, you may wanna switch back later)

...and as far as the bootsound goes; I have made my own before, but since then I have emerced myself and my computer in psp mod resources & info...so bare with me as i try to recolect some data that I know will aid you in this process...

back in a jiff* ^__^

6. Marrabout

Marrabout Member

thanks i'll be patient. by the way, the link I posted is a method of changing the font WITHOUT the possibility of bricking the PSP so I think it is much safer and easier> You can change fonts in a matter of minutes.

7. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

RE: UPDATE

Awesome! I use something similar like that for my gameboot (opening _plugin.prx) to run it from my ms0...

anywho...im still searching mate...my com needs a massive defrag.

8. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  9. Marrabout

Marrabout Member

thanks a lot. this guide is actually well a GUIDE! and the converter is useful.
    I have another question though: Are you aware if one can stream video such as TVUPlayer from PC to PSP via a router using 3.03 oe-c?

10. Marrabout

Marrabout Member

hey I used the guide but for some reason i just think iI BRICKED my PSP! Like when I turned my PSP on the screen is BLACK!!! IS there any way to know if it's bricked for sure?

11. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

it's totally bricked when the bat. charging light and the the backlight are on, but nothing else is working...umm...if youre running OE-C, you should be okay then......

run recovery @ /recovery/eboot.pbp....

if it doesnt work, but you can still go to recovery, then run hexitnow's OE-C recovery win-installer...

I hope everything turns out well... :(

12. Marrabout

Marrabout Member

thanks it worked! io'm tempted to try changing the Gameboot sound again.. but i think i best not

13. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

lol...werd...take your time on anything that touches the flash....that mess is Ital!

14. Marrabout

Marrabout Member

well how exactly did u change ur gameboot sound?

15. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

I used RCO Editor to extract the vag file from the opening plugin....and I converted the sound i wanted to use from wav to .vag format...and then I re-compiled the opening plugin and flash'd it....

I used virtual dub, avi-synth, and regular windows sound recorder...

I know that there is a tutorial around here somewhere, but I just got off of work and ain't ready to dive into the forums quite yet....

hell, if there isn't one, i think it might be a good idea to make one....

soon, very soon ;)

16. staxx

staxx Regular member

Heres a tutorial for creating custom bootsounds(the sound that plays when you turn on your psp) http://www.pspbrew.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7094

Heres a link to about 17 or 18 different tutorials (a master guide to all tutorials) , im sure all the tutorials you asked for are in there http://www.pspbrew.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7155

sorry xmb and volume tutorials arent in there i'll look to see if i can find some for you

heres a tutorial for puting backgrounds behind the waves http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50822

wave packs and background themes can be found here http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=47637&page=14

Volume/battery bars i'll let someone else post...this should keep you busy for a while tho until someone else posts

If you need any help with this stuff just pm me and i'll see what i can do

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  17. Marrabout

Marrabout Member

thanks a lot for the info. I will try it out now.

18. Marrabout

Marrabout Member

I followed the gamebot sound guide EXACTLY and it semi-BRICKED my 3.03 oe-c PSP. Luckily I was able to recover. This is the second time this hapnes whne i try to change the sound. I guess it's not worth it.

19. staxx

staxx Regular member

the gameboot guide to write it to your mem stick? i'll link you my email in your pm and then i'll see if i can figure out where you went wrong.