1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mode B freeze problem

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by tcs614, Nov 29, 2007.

1. tcs614

tcs614 Member

When i was flashing my friends hitachi drive, I used the slax disc to get the drive in "mode b," but when I tried to restart the computer, it froze at the bios. Here's a little tutorial on how to fix that problem because I'm sure I'm not the only one whose had this.

Stuff needed:
    -hitachi drive
    -via vt6421 card, or another computer with onboard sata (also if your using a via vt6421 card, make sure the correct driver is installed for it)
    -slax boot cd which you can find the files from another page

1. Boot with the slax disc in the hitachi drive and the hitachi drive connected to your onboard sata to get drive in "mode b"

2. Unplug the sata cable from the drive to the pc from the pc.

3. Get a via vt6421a card, or another computer (im not 100% positive that another computer will work) and plug the drive (still on and in mode b) into one of the sata ports.

3. Reboot the computer in which the drive is connected to.

4. Windows should be able to boot with the drive connected and still in "mode b," and you can start your flashing from there.

Do not, throughout any of these steps, turn off the drive after it has gone into "mode b." Doing that will just get your drive back into "mode a," and windows will not detect it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

if you have the via card your bios should never hang. all i do is turn on the pc the turn on the xbox a few seconds after. and i always make sure there is a disc in the drive and always make sure to press the eject button 3 times in a row to keep the drive tray closed.

3. yesser

yesser Guest

sometimes at the loading screen you just open and close the drive if it freezes ..one thing i forgot to do when i frist did this was install the software for the sada card so make sure you did that also lol

4. tcs614

tcs614 Member

yea i tried that open and close thing at the loading screen and many more things but doing what i mentioned was the only thing that worked for me