1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moded PS2 wont read burned dvds...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by tony123ab, Jan 11, 2007.

1. tony123ab

tony123ab Member

My playstation is old (V 4) and has some problems reading discs. Now it never liked when I tried to play burned dvds in it...constantly says disc read error, but recently I cant get a burned dvd to play to save my life...which blows seeing as I just installed a DMS4 S.E. Lite in it.

So pretty much my mod chip was a waste of money (as most of my games that I intend to back up are large) unless I can get these working....so my question is...

Does anyone see any obvious problems? I`m using Sony DVD+R and burning them at 4.0 times. I`ve tried standing the console up vertically but nothing...

Is there perhaps anyway of splitting an image and putting it onto a few CDRs (which work like butta).

Should I maybe be looking into buying a new disc assembly?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks,

Tony.

2. tony123ab

tony123ab Member

Sorry, I have somethings to add but I cant figure out how to edit the thread body and not just the title so I have to reply...I apologize for my ignorance.

I also tried cleaning the lens with a DRY Q-Tip (I dont have any isop handy.

Also I`m looking into adjusting the laser voltage, does anyone have any input on this? I`m worried I might completely burn it out. Has anybody tried it? Is there alot to go wrong?
    The procedure seems fairly straight foward and I`m not entirely technologicaly ignorant, I did install my modchip myself.

If anyone has anything to add I would be ever so grateful.

Thanks again.

3. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

The PS2 optical drive is widely known to be faulty, resulting in Disc Read Errors. The earliest drives suffered from a constantly misaligning laser lens but later defects were the result of a shift in voltage to the laser itself. The first problem was relatively easy to remedy, but it required opening the machine's casing and tweaking a cog that controlled the lens' distance from the discs it was supposed to read. The second fix involves the use of an oscillator.

Another issue causing DRE's is wear on the part coupling the head assembly to the worm gear that moves the laser. A symptom of this is a loud repetitive clicking sound. The part is commonly plastic and prone to wear or break. Metal replacements are available from third parties.

Sounds like your laser is on its way out. Poor guy probably got stressed out with all those burned DVDs :( Don't fret, theres still some hope!

Try the following:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars/3
    http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/ps2diy/

Not possible to put PS2 DVD games on CDs.

If that fails, I'd buy/steal a new laser assembly.

BTW, edit button is located at the top right corner of your posts--see the little notepad icon next to 'Link to this message'.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  4. tony123ab

tony123ab Member

!

Mine certainly does make a clicking noise as it reads discs and especially those it cant read.

I`ll take a look at those links. I REALLY appreciate you sharing your obvious expertise in this matter and will post in this thread how it works out for me....thank you very very much.