1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

modem on 24/7?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Schwaber, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

I just wanna know if your modem is always open 24/7 and what factors can it affect with the connection? I mean, do you guys turn off your modem every time you go to bed..?

*Just want some feedbacks for what's best for the modem.

2. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member

Most modems these days are made with constant operation in mind, so provided you have a fairly new modem provided by a cable or DSL provider, it should be safe to just leave it on.

3. ireland

ireland Active member

the modem is the only thing i turn off at night,as my computer is always on..
    as its possible a ghost might sneak in my computer at night...

4. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member

Personally, i wouldn't be afraid of anything sneaking into my computer, as long as i had a proper software firewall and perhaps a router with a built in NAT.

5. ireland

ireland Active member

i have all that juice i still turn off my modem..or use my computer to shut down the connection..as i am on a network..with other computers..

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ireland...Is there some advantage to leaving one's computer on? By "on" do you mean standby?

@K Mitnik... Welcome to afterdawn; I don't think I've run into you before. You seem to know your stuff and Lord knows, we can always use the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2007
  7. ireland

ireland Active member

its been on for over 3-years..powering off shorten's the life of a computer,meaning a turn on always has a power surge and shorten's the life of computer components..

only time i do a real power down is when i change a card or a hard drive..or memery..or trouble shoot..

jerry1 as ye know i use windows 2000..

thats what i believe,others might have other ideas on this subject.

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

The original question asked if a "modem" should be on 24/7. To an oldie like me, its a kind of odd feeling that I need to ask, "what kind of modem are you talking about?".

[irony]
    About 1540 AD, when I first connected to "Ye Intarwebbe" as it was called, we used "dialup" modems which connected to a telephone outlet. Nowadays people use cable or DSL "modems", (which aren't actually modems at all, but never mind).
    [/irony]

They are OK to leave switched on. In fact, my cable service provider which provides the modem, advises that it should be left on 24/7. I believe this is so they can download service upgrades, fix problems, etc. This sort of thing is often done in the early morning, in the small hours.

I left my old dial up modem on 24/7. When I had a DSL modem at my old house I did the same thing.

I ignore this instruction when I go on vacation, or I am leaving the house for more than 36 hours. My fire insurance stipulates that I do this. I also disconnect the TV and stereo and PC as well.

9. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I have a Motorola Surfboard cable modem and that sucker stays on 24/7 as it constantly works and has no time to sleep. it has a manufacture warranty so if anything happens to it I just send it back. Which I don't need to as I get them for free ;)

Its really your preference on whether you want to leave it running 24/7.

10. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I had a Motorola Surfboard 3100 which was ok when I was on 512 kbps service. When the service upgraded to 1024, 2048, and then 4096 kbps it started overheating. When my cable provider rolled out 10 Mbit service they called in all the Surfboard 3100s and I got a Scientific Atlanta. They are doubling the top speed to 20 Mbit/sec for no extra charge next month. W00T.

11. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

I have Motorola surfboard SB5101... I never turn off my modem too, but I just thought that it might affect the connection if you didn't turn it off. Coz sometimes, my connection is kinda slow and there are times where it was really REALLY fast!!! Anyway, Rogers "extreme" cable internet sucks! lol.. They told me that I have a 5mbit connection but whenever I do the speedcheck, Am just getting 1909kbps dl rate. what a bastard eh? What really frustrates me more is the fact that I tested my speed here and it says that I have a 5mbit connection. However, that speedcheck is for rogers only. Majority of the speedcheck sites shows that I have 1909kbps dl rate and NOT 5mbit. honestly, I think rogers has a major problem!

(sorry for the little rant :D)

12. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

In the UK some DSL service providers got rapped over the knuckles by the Advertising Standards Authority for advertising connections at certain speeds, 2 Mb, 4 Mb, 20 Mb, whatever, now they have to put the words "up to" in front of the speed. At the moment I have a 4 Mbit DL, 384 Kbit UL cable service, but I very rarely get the full speed except from my ISP's own Usenet servers (Actually, that is why I pay for the service.) The binary news server is part of the service and is free for me to use, and believe me, I do! I have found that I can sometimes get 1.5 - 2 Mbit downloads with Bit Torrent, and with Emule I sometimes see 800 kbit - 1 Mbit.

Here in the Uk a lot of ISPs are in a curious position. They know perfectly well why people want fast connections. They are not going to be in a hurry to cooperate with the UK equivalent of the RIAA.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  13. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I have COX Communication and i noticed my connection was slow (its supposed to be 8mb down and 512kb up), so I did a speed test for 2 days and I was only getting 3mb/d and my full 512kb/u, so I called them up and told them my situation and they said it was my wireless router (BullS) then I told them I tried with and without my router and they were left spechless. To make a long story short and hour later I had full speed. I think some of these Internet Cable Providers try some scandalous stuff and think no one will notice....I did though.

Just and FYI I reset my router and modem once a week to refresh.

14. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

My provider is one of those that is actually dumb enough to still manage the connection at the customer's modem.
    Whenever they try and dupe me by pulling down below the speed i am "supposed" to get, i just browse to it, autofill the credentials the cableguy never bothered to remove from my browser, and presto, back up i go.
    Sure, i've had some emails saying that they know i do that, and that that is a "breach of contract", but i just reply that as long as they advertise with "guaranteed speeds" (which they also mention in the contract), i will keep changing the settings to those exact speeds.

15. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

-interesting... I might as well reset my router and modem once a week and see any difference. But I think I tried doing that before and every time I dl using utorrent, it says that the port is blocked (red icon) and after a week or so, it will go back to green icon (open) again. Weird huh?! Quick question what is "FYI"?

16. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

For Your Information

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  17. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

LOL.. thanks!

18. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

19. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Cool, but its kinda off topic dude..