1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

modifying(good or evil?)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by chic24, Apr 10, 2003.

1. chic24

chic24 Member

I have a ps2 version 5, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea or a bad one to modify it. Will I be screwing up the most expensive thing I own? Or will it be a good investment. I would really like some feedback! Thanks!

2. Dave6789

Dave6789 Member

if you can solder good you can do it yourself but if not i would have it sent out to be done by a pro that is what i did. i think it is a good investment my ps2 boots everything fine.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2003
  3. chic24

chic24 Member

I can't solder, but my hubbie thinks he can. I have my doubts. I guess I will have to look into this some more. I have no idea who I would send it to so I could have this done

4. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

"thinking" he can aint gonna cut it. we are talking about some precision soldering here. pop open your computer and take a look at the boards in it, thats bigger than what he'd be soldering on. you can always go with a non-solder method of playing backups, but you wouldn't have the versatility and convieniance of having a solder chip installed. non-solder methods require an alternative source of booting the backup game, such as a boot disc.

5. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

If you are buying a Mod then buy a "No-Swap" Modchip. Swapping is a pain in the neck. Do not think that it is not a big deal swapping. Eventually you will get fed up and go for a real Mod. Get a Pro to solder it.

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Just because you are too lazy to do a swap doesn't mean EVERYONE will not like the mod. It is a great alternative to a solder mod for people who have no other choice.

Chic24 read a few of the threads and make your own decision as to what is best for you.

7. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

gotta back Dex up on that one. some people prefer NOT to risk soldering on their PS2. even if they know a pro solderer, it just gives some people "the willies" just thinking it. like me!!

8. CptCrash

CptCrash Regular member

go with a flip-top and swap. It's not a big deal and you won't get tired of it. Least I have not yet. Takes no time at all.

9. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

Well even I used to think what's the big deal a 2 Mins swap. Well I have got bored now. Also I have heard that the No-Solder mod is incapable of playing many games. I was going for it but after reading the threads I dropped the idea. Check out

modchipman.com
    www.psxrepair.com

Magic 3.1 is real cheap for $20. But you will have to solder

10. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

2 minute swap?!?!?! What method where you using. Even with my Neo 2.2Pro and GS it took me only about 1 minute 20 sec to boot DVD-r with a double swap. If used with Swap Magic it only takes seconds.

11. JonL

JonL Member

I'm going to second modchipman.com As soon as I have the cash together, I'm sending my PS2 in to get a DMS3 installed. I definitely don't trust myself soldering my $200 PS2.

12. chic24

chic24 Member

Yeah, soldering my ps2 scares the beejesus out of me. My luck it would get ruined and then I would be S.O.L. I had looked at the flip top way, and it seemed like the least likely way to FUBAR my ps2. Thanks for all the ideas. I appreciate it.

13. CptCrash

CptCrash Regular member

Yah, I know I would of F'd mine up pretty bad if I did the soldering myself, thus I went the easy way. flip top and swap discs. I'm sure the solder way is the 'best' way to go, however I can live with the flip top/discs until a PS3 hits the market in 3 years. ;-)

14. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

Hey man check out this site.Well they are selling Messiah 2 Pro for $15!!!
    www.ps2modchip.com

Well if you cannot solder properly, here is what I suggest. If you roam about in you country, you will be able to find many repair shops that repair electronics like TVs. Just go into one of these shops and get you console soldered with a chip. Well I live in India and there are many such shops where you get small electronics repaired. For soldering about 25 wires they will charge you about 50 cents or at the max a dollar. Just find a person who knows how to solder properly and show him a printed diagram or take him to you house. But be careful as these people are very famous for replacing the original components for duplicate ones. So you will need to sit beside them all the time. Hope this helps